Monday, January 2, 2012

I want to marinate... or be marinated....

It is time for session #3 of the Academy.  I leave tomorrow morning.  I'm excited, yet nervous.  I look forward to the faculty, the worship, the silence, the solitude, the friends, the community, the accountabilty, the alligators, and the Spanish.  I am also looking forward to seeing the Jesus Doll.   The books we've read for this session have been thought-provoking and have been working in me.  (I'm still working on one of them.)

Why am I nervous?  Well, because it seems that everytime I go to an Academy session since I started the 5 day and the 2 year, God has something to say to me and ask of me.  I'm usually having to decide whether or not I will say "yes" to God, accept something, etc. 

This time, I would like to marinate.  You know, just soak it in-- without having to be challenged by something. ☺  I guess I shouldn't have written my first-year covenant to include the words "to continue taking steps of faith and risk in ministry pursuit".  oops. ☺ 

I looked up the definition of the word "marinate" in the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary.  It reads: as a transitive verb-- "to steep in marinade".  As an intransitive verb-- "to become marinated". Definition of marinate from Merriam-webster.com

I see the upcoming week of the Academy (The Upper Room-- 2 Year Academy) as "marinade".  Therefore, I will be steeped in marinade and will become marinated.

As I'm writing this blog, I got a phone call, asking if I would consider praying about being a Table Leader for the next women's Emmaus Walk in April.  Wow!  I haven't even gotten to the Academy and I feel God asking me to take steps of faith and risk in ministry pursuit.  I said yes. "It is time."  It is the week after session #4 of the Academy.  It will mean creative studying, but I can do that.  It also means I'll be giving a talk.  I've not done that on a women's walk before, but I have given talks on Crossroads and Chrysalis.  Upper Room Emmaus Link

Now, I'd better finish packing for the Academy.  I wonder how much marinating I'm going to get to do...... or how many alligators I'll get to see.... it's going to be good.... that I know!"

Take time to listen to God for some marinating and soaking in on your journey!

~Debra

3 comments:

  1. I do know about marinating chicken! Just kidding I am glad you will have this time in solitude which is need in our lives. Chowder wants to say something.....HI PICKLES GET ME SOMETHING FROM FLORIDA PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purpose of marinating is to a) add flavor, and 2) tenderize the meat (this can also be done by pounding the meat with a hammer.) Let that soak in! Just can't shake the mental pic of you kickin' back in a hot tub full of A-1 and soy sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I realize this. And those were just my thoughts on the drive down. That is for blog post #2 on marinating... just haven't had time to write it. As I shared in my covenant group, one must be careful what one asks for. ☺ Don't forget the Lizano sauce!

    ReplyDelete