Monday, December 29, 2014

Convergence....thoughts and reflections from yesterday's sermon

Yes, I know.  I have LOTS of writing to do that is required, so why am I writing one more post?!?!  I can't get yesterday's sermon out of my mind.  Therefore, the best thing to do is to write about it.  Then, I can concentrate on the remaining questions I have to answer and tweak the others I have already answered.  That is my agenda today.  Theological questions. 

But, before I turn my attention there, here are my thoughts and reflections from yesterday's sermon by Pastor Rowland Buck at Burks UMC.

The title of the sermon: "When Christmas Dreams Come True"

The Scripture passage was from Isaiah 61:10-62:3. 

The message centered on the word "convergence".  Convergence is when two things come together to create a whole new way of doing things, expanding the possibilities.  Pastor Rowland mentioned the convergence of two rivers.  How they come together into one.  That's a good example of convergence.  But the one that resonated most with me was the one he gave using the combined technology of the cellular phone and the camera.  He mentioned the polaroid camera and the original bag cellular phones. 







With the convergence of technology, we now have cell phones that take great pictures, cell phone cameras.  Or, I guess you could say we have cameras that we can use to call and text.    Pastor Rowland demonstrated this technology for us during the service.


I attended both services.  During the 2nd service, I uploaded the above picture to Facebook and posted this caption: "Convergence. Two things coming together to create a whole new realm of possibilities. Example-- the cell phone camera. Convergence. That's what Christmas is-- heaven and earth coming together to expand the possibilities with the birth of Jesus Christ."  

Christmas is the ultimate convergence!  Heaven and earth coming together to create a whole new way of doing things, expanding the possibilities.  Wow!  

Pastor Rowland reminded us that Christmas is so much more than what we do to ourselves during the Christmas season.  In fact, we were reminded at the beginning of the service that the Christmas season had only just begun.  Odd, isn't it... by the time Christmas Day comes and ends, most people are ready to put it away.  Yet that is when it really begins.  The 12 days of Christmas BEGIN on Christmas day and continue through Epiphany, January 6, the day that the Magi visited the infant (though not baby) Jesus with their gifts.  But that's a different story, sermon, and blog post.

How can we live into this convergence of Christmas rather than the hustle and bustle?  Pastor Rowland offered several thought provoking questions:
  • How does Jesus' teaching integrate into your life?
  • How do you follow him?
  • How will Christmas converge with your life in this next week?
  • How might your life be changed by the convergence of Christmas?
  • How will it make a difference?
In the first service, Pastor Rowland also mentioned the movie "Unbroken" and talked about the bravery and courage of the main character, Louis Zamperini.  There was a convergence moment in Zamparini's life when he was back in the United States at a Billy Graham crusade and stood up to walk out but instead walked down to the altar.  The movie is out in theaters now.  I've not seen it yet.  It seems like a powerful story about life, history, sacrifice, etc.   

Have you experienced the convergence of heaven and earth coming into your life?  

Take a look again at the questions Pastor Rowland asked.  Reflect upon them for yourself.  

If you'd like to watch his sermon from the 2nd service, check it out.


As you continue through the Christmas season, may you find the possibilities in your own life expanded because of the birth of Christ.  May there be a whole new way of doing things!

Blessings on your journey!

Debra
 






2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the questions he posed, and I've always disliked the disappearance of Christmas on the day after. Thanks for acknowledging the 12 Days and Epiphany. Hmmm, maybe it's time I introduce a new (to us) tradition to my granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 12 days of Christmas and Epiphany have become more integrated into my own celebration, though it is difficult when not many do so. I take down decorations after January 6th. I do what I can to celebrate the Christmas season. But just today in the grocery store, the February candy was already out..... UGH!! Commercial agendas rule the calendar. Doing what we can to teach and share is important!

      Delete