Sunday, January 4, 2015

Driving down to FL for my final on campus intensive seminary course....

Because the FL (Orlando) campus is further away from my home than the KY main (Wilmore) campus, I decided to take the drive in two days again this year.  After having made reservations in Tifton, GA for the first night, I was glad I had done so when the weather report showed I would be driving in primarily raining weather on Saturday.

It wasn't as bad as predicted.  It was misty and cloudy.  Traffic wasn't even bad until I got below Atlanta, GA.  I made it through Atlanta without traffic stop and go.  WOW!!  But, south of Atlanta was the 30 minute stop and go to inch along 5 miles on the way toward Macon.  What should have been about a 4 hour trip to Tifton turned into 5 hours.

Other than attempting to help my step son figure out how to get home from the library (don't ask) while I'm on the road, the drive was relatively peaceful.  In fact, I enjoy the time in my rolling sanctuary as the Toyota Camry has been dubbed affectionately since Linda Douty introduced me to that term during the 2 Year Academy.  ☺

Like most trips, I had some silent time.  It was all solitude time (except for the few phone calls with step son and hubby).  I also enjoyed some music on the radio.  Though I did grab several Spanish CDs for the trip, I didn't use them on the way down.  I heard a new station that I hadn't heard before.  I heard some new songs.

I found myself going back to the WO 510 class that I took last Spring and listening to the lyrics to see how many songs contained trinitarian lyrics.  I also found myself thinking that "this" song would make a great call to worship and that this other song would be good in a set, etc.  Dr.  Goold's class impacted me in the worship arena on several levels.

I will probably add some of those songs to the end of this post (if I can find them).

I spent time in prayer for folks as I drove.  As names popped into my head, I prayed for those people.

Rolling along in the rolling sanctuary in the rain allowed for quite a bit of reflection yesterday.

Today was a different journey.  This morning I listened to the 9am Burks UMC worship service on my smartphone.  I was able to connect with my home church in worship.  Bobby Hixson led the congregational in prayer and it was a very powerful and meaningful prayer.  I wish I could have seen the "houses" that the children were building during Scott Grinstead's children message, but it was fun to listen to him.  Being able to hear the choir, Wil read Scripture, and Pastor Amy Nutt preach this morning was a blessing.  What I did miss was being able to partake of Holy Communion on this Epiphany Sunday and the opportunity to be anointed with the frankincense oil Pastor Amy Nutt offered to the congregation.

Here is today's sermon from the 2nd service.


You can see all sermons from Burks UMC going here: click here for the Burks UMC link and scrolling through for a particular sermon.  This is the Burks UMC YouTube channel.

Beyond today's service, I didn't really listen to much music.  I did spend more time in prayer and reflection.

Allowing my brain to rest before it hits a week full of studies is a blessing!

Once again I am staying at the Canterbury Retreat Center in Oviedo, FL.  That is another blessing and an opportunity to rest and wind down.  The campus is peaceful and beautiful.  Today I found a great place to walk in nearby Oviedo, the Cross Seminole Trail.  I started at the Black Hammock Trailhead and walked toward Oviedo and back.  Though very warm, it was a gorgeous afternoon and that was a perfect end to driving 5 hours today.

I still have some reading to do tonight and throughout this week, but I am looking forward to this class.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

-----------------------

A couple of new songs I heard on the radio that I haven't posted previously.  I heard these on 91.7 FM, "New Life FM".

One song was: "Lord, We've Come to Worship" by Don Moen.  This is the song that I think would be a great call to worship song. (Paul Baloche and others sing it too.)

Here are the lyrics:

Lord we've come to worship
And we have come to pray
Lord we've come to listen
And hear what You would say
Lord our hearts are longing
To meet with You today
For we have come to seek You
And we have come to say
Worthy You are worthy
King of kings Lord of lords
You are worthy
All blessing and power
All riches and wisdom
All glory and honor and praise
To the Lamb
Lord we need forgiveness
We've wandered far away
Look down in tender mercy
Forgive our sins we pray
O Lord we need revival
All across this land
Come move among Your people
With Your mighty hand
To the Lamb that was slain
To redeem us back to God again
To the Lamb
Who will reign
Forever and ever amen
Forever and ever amen
Forever and ever
Forever and ever
Forever and ever
Amen Amen Amen


Another song that caught my attention was "Here for a Reason".  I heard it on the EBN-- Emmanuel Broadcasting Network.  That was 91.7 at the time I heard the song.  This song has powerful lyrics for anyone struggling or going through a rough time.  The song and the group (Ashes Remain) are new to me.

"Here for a Reason" lyrics:

You're not forgotten
You're not alone
You think you're worthless, but you're worth it
And He calls you His own
Made in His image
You were made for more
You think there is no plan, that it's all by chance
But don't believe that anymore

Every time that you wake up breathing
Every night when you close your eyes
Every day that your heart keeps beating
There's purpose for your life
So don't give up
Don't lay down
Just hold on
Don't quit now
Every breath that you take has meaning
You are here for a reason

If you spent your days just getting by
When you feel useless, He can use you
And show you what it means to be alive

Every time that you wake up breathing
Every night when you close your eyes
Every day that your heart keeps beating
There's purpose for your life
So don't give up
Don't lay down
Just hold on
Don't quit now
Every breath that you take has meaning
You are here for a reason

Every day is a gift from above
Don't throw it away
When it feels like to much
He'll be there

Every time that you wake up breathing
Every night when you close your eyes
Every day that your heart keeps beating
There's purpose for your life
So don't give up
Don't lay down
Just hold on
Don't quit now
Every breath that you take has meaning
You are here for a reason





No comments:

Post a Comment