Thursday, January 14, 2016

Being a Citizen and Doing Something For the Community

I had one of those "a-ha" moments yesterday.  You know, when the light bulb goes off (figuratively) in your head and things become clear.  Mine happened yesterday as I sat in the Blood Assurance office in Fort Oglethorpe, GA with a needle in my arm drawing blood from me.


I had gone in yesterday for my 2nd donation of platelets.  My first platelet donation was in December.

I was scheduled to give again on New Year's Eve, but had to reschedule because they closed the office early that day.  Yesterday was the first appointment that worked out with my schedule.

Prior to my platelet donation, I have given blood as often as possible. I am O- and O negative blood is a universal donor type.  That means they like my blood.  Giving platelets takes more time than giving blood.  But it also is "worth" more than one blood donation.  I learned that the first time I donated platelets.  One unit of platelets is worth 5 units of regular blood.  At least I think that's the statistics I saw on the whiteboard.  I took a picture last time to remember.  I'll find it and post it here.


My light bulb moment, my epiphany... what was it?

I realized yesterday in that chair that not only am I donating platelets (and plasma yesterday for the first time additionally), but I am also in a situation to build relationships and community.

Though I have given before at other locations and have gotten to know faces and names of the workers, I really hadn't considered Blood Assurance as a place to build community.  But, it is.

I am going to the Fort Oglethorpe location because it is in the heart of my ministry community.  In my appointment, the churches I serve are in Walker and Catoosa counties-- Fort Oglethorpe UMC, Simpson UMC, and Flintstone UMC.  Otherwise known as the Holston Georgia (GaP) Parish.  When I first received my appointment, my insider Blood Assurance contact Tony Burgess told me he would start scheduling me at Fort Oglethorpe.  That made sense to me.  Neither of us at the time knew I would start donating platelets.

I donated blood twice at Fort Oglethorpe prior to my first platelet donation.  In those donations, I observed community in that people who came to donate knew the workers and the workers knew them.   I didn't really make any big connections, but I did start to get to know some people.

It was that first time I went in to give platelets that I had an opportunity to get to know the workers a little better.  There is something about sitting in that recliner for an extended period of time that allows that.  Prior to my donation, one of the workers needed to leave due to an emergency in her family.  As she left, I told her I would pray and before I left that day, I wrote a short note on the back of one of my cards and left it for her, letting her know I was praying for her.

When I went in yesterday, she remembered me and thanked me for the note.  I asked about her family member and she updated me.   Things were going well.  Good news.

I got hooked up to the machine and learned I was eligible to donate two units.  Apologies to all who need it, but yesterday I didn't really have the time to donate the two units because we were running an hour late in getting started, so I opted for the one unit and donated platelets and plasma.

In my time in the recliner, I got to know one of the other workers that I had not seen before, a floater who goes around to the different locations.

Donating blood, platelets, and plasma is really being a citizen.  It is doing what is needed for those in our community who need it.  But it is more than that.  By taking the time to donate, I realized yesterday that I am also allowing myself the opportunity to build community with others.

Even though Tony Burgess intentionally set me up at Fort Oglethorpe to be IN community, it didn't occur to me until yesterday that it might really be possible to build community through blood, platelets, and plasma donations.

Two reasons that's important to me... one, as a pastor, we need to make sure that we are IN community and out of the physical church buildings in order to build community within our communities.  Though I do that as often as possible (you will find me in coffee shops, latino stores, etc.), I am not necessarily building connections and community all the time.

I say that this is important for pastors.  Only as a model.  It's really important for all folks who ARE the church and desire to live the love of Christ in the world.   If we aren't in the community, making connections, doing our part as citizens, and sharing light and love, then what ARE we doing?

Is being in the community only for pastors and those who desire to share Christ?  No, it's really for all of us.  As citizens in our communities, we are all called to find those places where we can connect with others, where we can engage in conversation, where we can get to know others, where we can share life with one another, where we can help one another.

For those who can, donate blood, platelets, and plasma.  There are many people who need it.  They will appreciate it and you might be amazed at what happens in your own life through it.

If you are unable to give or if that isn't for you, then look around for other opportunities to be a citizen in your community, to get out into the community, to be with the community, to serve the community, to connect with the community, to build relationships in and with the community.  Because we are each uniquely made and have unique gifts to offer others, we all have something to offer others. Once we figure that out and start to do it, consider sharing with others your stories so that others will get ideas and/or be inspired to get out and use what they have.

If you're willing, share your stories with me.  I'd like to hear your adventures. Reply to this post in the comments area.

It is when we all do our part with and for one another that we will truly be a healthy community, in more ways than one.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  If you'd like to know more about Blood Assurance, check out their website here.

If you don't have Blood Assurance in your area, check out the American Red Cross (that's where I gave my first donation on Long Island).

If you'd like to know more about donating platelets or plasma in general, check out this link:

Donating Platelets

NOTE:  The places that buy plasma don't use it for transfusion in hospital or other medical settings.  It is used for pharmaceutical and other settings. [See "Can I Get Paid To Donate" under FAQ at this link from Blood Assurance.]


No comments:

Post a Comment