Friday, September 16, 2016

Following those nudges

Last week I saw a post where a friend was in pain and prayers were requested. I responded to the post asking if I might visit. This friend was someone I had been in Sunday school with for several years and my husband and I knew her through that group.

The answer came back that I could. I learned she wasn't in town, but up the road. Since I was going to be in Cleveland all day Saturday for an event, I asked if I could call after that to see if the timing was good for a visit.

After the training, I called. It had been a long day, but I felt that this was not something I was supposed to miss. They said come on. I drove through the beautiful countryside.

I had a very pleasant visit with my friend, assuring her family that she wasn't confused on her facts.... that yes, I was in her Sunday School class and am now a pastor serving three churches.  I can see where one might question that when they hear it.

We sat together with her two sisters. We shared some. I learned she was going to get her nails repainted. I asked what color was her favorite. After a moment, she responded "red".

Though we spoke some, we also sat in silence with one another. Sometimes there are no words.

I asked her if I could pray for her and anoint her and she said yes. We had a time of prayer.

I learned that others from the class had been up to visit her in the recent weeks. I was glad to learn that.

As we talked some more, there were some beautiful smiles that emerged. Oh, how I remembered seeing her smiling face in class and church. What a gift.

It was a true blessing to spend some moments with her and her family. I am grateful for the nudge to ask the family and to follow through.

We never know the timeline, do we? I felt a sense of urgency, but I couldn't have known.

I got the call this afternoon from her niece. She is free from pain, suffering, and cancer. For that I am grateful.

My prayers go out to her family and friends as they mourn and process the loss of a dear one, another life well lived.

As I continue to walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have more and more reason to live abundantly into my calling and to attempt to be faithful in loving God and loving others as myself.  Time is too short to not live, love, and lead like Jesus.

As followers of Christ, our lives are for the the sake of others. That means our blessings, our church buildings, our gyms, our property, our time, our energy, our money... it is all for the sake of others, for the making of disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. If we say are Christian, but we are living for ourselves, what message do we show others about Christ?

All that we have, all that we are is because of God working in us and through us. I think all belongs to God. We don't take it with us when we die.

Will I live my life, use my gifts, share the money, share the spaces I am blessed with, and love others as Christ would? Or will I bury it all in the ground until my master comes back?

It is worth risking love, risking failure, risking not always getting it right, in the hopes that I will somehow share what God has given me with others before the day I leave the kingdom here on earth.

Loss of life ways causes me to reflect on how important it is to live well... and to die well.

Cindy, I will treasure those last words you spoke to me last Saturday as I hugged you and kissed your forehead for Riley.  I know you now know the peace of Christ in a truly intimate way.

Last night after teaching, I saw these clouds. I posted the picture last night. After learning of Cindy's passing, I thought of these wings again.


Obituary for Cindy Curry

May we all recognize the opportunities we have daily to make and be a difference for the sake of others.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra






No comments:

Post a Comment