Sunday, April 30, 2017

Called By Name



The nudge to grab this cross and incorporate it into morning messages has happened twice now in the Easter season, once for Easter Sunday and again for this 3rd Sunday of Easter. On Easter Sunday the message was  "Is Your Identity in Christ?" and today it was "Set Free by Christ".

This cross was given to me by my Aunt Carol (also a godmother) in the 70s as a Christmas gift/ornament. It was a family tradition to give name ornaments of meaning. It hung on the family Christmas tree year after year with the other ornaments she gave me and went with me when I left home.

It has only been recently that I took it out of the Christmas ornaments and keep it with me, sometimes wearing it as a cross, and still putting it on the tree.

I don't think I understood the magnitude of this gift back in the 70s, but I am beginning to learn these days.

The verse in the back is Isaiah 43:1. It says: "I have called you by your name; you are mine." I don't know what version this is, but I suppose I could search biblegateway.com until I found it.

Called by name.

I don't know why this is on my mind so much recently, but it is.

For me to think back to having received this gift so long ago and to be where I am now on the journey is humbling.

We are all called by name, however, and created uniquely by the Creator (Psalm 139).

Whether we respond to that call and accept the gift of grace extended to us is another thing.

God loves us. God loved Christ. Twice God spoke aloud words calling Christ a beloved son. Christ knew who and whose he was. This allowed him to live into his ministry and calling. When we know who and whose we are, we can live into our ministry and calling too.

It also helps us remember that death is not the final answer.

I don't know what storms, trials, or circumstances are in your life right now. What I do know is that for me, being reminded that I am "called by name" strengthens my faith.

Peace and blessings on the journey,
Debra

P.S. This cross is made by the terra sancta guild. Check out their website by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment