Saturday, December 22, 2018

Advent 3-- a week of photos, reflections, and questions

Here is Advent 3-- the questions, the reflections, the photos. As you look through the photos and reflect on the words and questions, how do you respond to the questions?  What comes to mind for you for the words?  As I have gone through this past week and reviewed the words-- joy, grace, promise, hospitality, community, journey, and mystery-- I have noticed the theme of unknowing and unfolding that continue in my faith journey.  I have been reminded of Thomas Merton's prayer from his "Thoughts in Solitude", as it continues to guide and direct me:

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. 



Today's word is #joy. What brings you joy? What does the word "joy" mean to you? How do you experience joy this Advent season? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #joy. There are many things that bring me joy. Today's photo collage for joy: the bulletin cover, the joy mug by Donna, a joy decoration, and an advent photo with Riley. Nehemiah 8:10-- the joy of the LORD is my strength.#adventphoto #holstongap

 

Today's word is #grace. How are you experiencing grace this Advent season? Where do you need grace? What is grace to you? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #grace. What is grace to me? It is a gift, a gift from God, the One who created me. There is much I don't understand, much that is and will always be mystery. Yet, there are quite a few things I can point to that mark grace shown and revealed in my journey. Grace is a gift that keeps on giving, as we give it to others as it has been given to us.#adventphoto #holstongap



Today's word is #promise. What promise keeps you moving forward? What promise do you need to hear most? What promise does the Advent season bring to you? #adventphoto #holstongap



Today's word is #promise. This song has been going through my head all morning. The lyrics in "Hymn of Promise" speak to me of life, freedom, hope, God's love, mystery, etc. Though it is categorized as a "death and eternal life" song, for me it speaks to living out the journey. On this page there is a note from one of my former Sunday School classmates. Thank you, Jan for the encouragement. The leaf heart was on the path Riley and I walked yesterday, a reminder of God's love, God's promise.#adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #hospitality. Where do you experience hospitality? Where is hospitality needed more in the world today? What does the word mean for you? #adventphoto #holstongap



Today's word is #hospitality. The first thing that comes to mind is Christine Pohl's book that helps remind us what kingdom hospitality is and how to recover it. This is a good place to begin. These other book also speak to hospitality: A Bigger Table by John Pavlovitz, A Place at the Table by Chris Seay, and Embracing the Wideness by Kenneth H. Carter, Jr., a former Bishop. How and where am I being challenged to live kingdom hospitality? What about you? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #community. Where do you find/make community? What does community mean to you? During this Advent season, what has community been to/for you? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #community. This group of folks attended the retreat this summer with Jane Vennard in NC. This is the Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (FUMSDRL) / Hearts on Fire (HOF). This is one of the life-giving communities for me. There are others. But because today was my last board phone call since I roll off the board of this organization at the end of this month, they get featured when I reflect on community.#adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #journey. How has this Advent journey been for you? What has it meant to/for you? As the Advent journey continues, what are your reflections on it? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #journey. Living into who and whose I am is a journey. It is an ongoing discovery and unfolding, an adventure. This verse from Isaiah reminds me that I have been called by name. This is the back of the chain. The front has stained glass painting and a "D". My aunt Carol gave it to me in the 70s as a Christmas ornament. #adventphoto#holstongap


Today's word is #mystery. What mystery has opened up this Advent season? What mystery still remains? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #mystery. I started looking at this painting on a cloth that a friend gave us and it caused me to reflect on the following things this Advent season. Though the camels nor the person riding them is likely a magi, my thoughts went there. I thought of the magi travelers seeking out the Christ child and the difficult journey to find him. Then I thought about my journey in following this Christ child. It sometimes seems strange, like a mystery, that I follow someone into unknown territory. I follow a dark-skinned, displaced, outcast, bivocational refugee who gave his life out of love for others. I do so willingly and respectfully, yet knowing it may lead me down paths I may not be able to handle as he did. He loved, healed, taught, forgave, etc. I hope by following the Christ child, I may learn to be and do likewise. #adventphoto #holstongap

May there be hope, peace, joy, and love on the journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment