Monday, March 4, 2019

The squeaky toy that wasn't

I haven't posted my last three sermons, but I will. My life and brain have been otherwise occupied and it is hard to write, to even post something I have already written, when there isn't much space. In addition to life and brain being occupied, my body decided to wear down some last week. I have mostly recovered from that.

I decided to post about an odd thing that happened last night.

You know how cats bring home gifts to their owners? Evidently, dogs do as well.

This was my first experience with Cliff bringing us anything.

I had let him out last night and went to check on him. Usually he comes in when ready.

This time I called him and he came running in and jumped on his couch. As he did, I noticed one of his squeaky toys. It was larger than normal (see picture) as most of them lose their stuffing quickly and its legs were sticking stiffly up in the air.

My brain quickly told me this one was not like the others and I went for help. I told Riley and Charlie that Cliff had something on the couch.

We don't know when he brought it in. It was a rabbit. A decent sized one. Riley and Charlie took care of it.

You know the saying that you can't unsee what you've seen? I even used that in yesterday's sermon. I haven't been able to unsee that plump little figure with the legs straight up.

I am grateful for Riley and Charlie for handling the cleanup. I couldn't deal with it. Somehow, a rabbit was on my couch.  We never figured out exactly when he brought it in, how he got it or why. As for the latter, possibly as a gift.

Cliff wasn't punished. He didn't get in trouble. He was being Cliff.

One thing that strikes me today is that I am reminded there are things that happen in life that we cannot unsee. How do we deal with them? Calmly? In healthy ways? In ways that do no harm?

I am grateful that I didn't do what I almost did--- take three steps closer to the couch, grab that "squeaky toy" and send it flying for Cliff to chase.  If I had done that, you probably would have heard me scream. That rabbit would not have moved easily. Or, maybe it would have. I am not sure it was completely gone at that point.

Life is full of adventure, even with squeaky toys.

Peace,

Debra

Squeaky toys







No comments:

Post a Comment