Monday, February 24, 2020

Bamboo Encounter-- February 22nd



This past Saturday was Bamboo Encounter day, the 4th Saturday of the month.  Five of us gathered in the bamboo for our time of silence, Scripture, sharing, and Holy Communion.  It was a beautiful clear day and the being in the space of the bamboo did not disappoint.  My spirit was refreshed from the time of worship in community in that space.


I am grateful to Joel, who led the January service so that I could attend the Resurrection weekend with the youth.  What I regret is not being there to have heard what he had to share.  I look forward to him leading another time when I can be in attendance.

Here are some pictures from yesterday's time in the bamboo, along with the worship service.

Take a moment to read over the Scriptures and the poem by Wendell Berry and reflect on them.  Picture yourself in the midst of the bamboo from the pictures.  Though it's not the same as being there because you don't feel the breeze nor can you hear the bamboo clacking against each other, you can picture the cathedral ceiling cover above you.

Bamboo Encounter is part of the Wild Church Network.  We meet at Reflection Riding, on land that is native to the Cherokee and is part of the Lookout Creek watershed.


Opening Prayer:
Lord, the air smells good today,
straight from the mysteries
within the inner courts of God.
A grace like new clothes thrown across the garden.
free medicine for everybody.
The trees in their prayer, the birds in praise,
the first blue violets kneeling.
Whatever came from Being is caught up in being,
drunkenly forgetting the way back.

RUMI

Scripture and readings:

Psalm 96:12
“Let all of the trees of the forest sing for joy.” (NIV)
“Let the trees of the forest rustle with praise.” (NLT—New Living Translation)

Isaiah 55:12
“For you shall go out in joy and be led back in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall burst into song, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.”

"Woods" by Wendell Berry
“I part the out thrusting branches
and come in beneath
the blessed and the blessing trees.
Though I am silent
There is singing around me.
Though I am dark
there is vision around me.
Though I am heavy
there is flight around me.”          
     ~Wendell Berry

Communion Passage:

Matthew 26: 26-28 (MSG)
26-28 During the meal, Jesus took and blessed the bread, broke it, and gave it to his disciples:
Take, eat.          
This is my body.
Taking the cup and thanking God, he gave it to them:
Drink this, all of you.
This is my blood,
God’s new covenant poured out for many people
    for the forgiveness of sins.

Song: 
Day by Day (Godspell)
Day by day
Oh Dear Lord
Three things I pray
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day

Blessing:  
(from Earth Gospel: A Guide to Prayer for God’s Creation by Sam Hamilton-Poore, p. 101)
                                                                                                                   

May Christ open your eyes
that you may see the light of creation.
May Christ open your ears
that you may hear the song of the earth.
May Christ open your heart
that you may give and receive love.
~SHP
Pictures by me:









Pictures by Joel Tippens:







May the bamboo bring you as much peace as it does me,
Rev. Deb

Resources: 
Spirit of Trees (a blog full of resources and writings on trees)
For the Beauty of the Earth, a Lenten Devotional, by Leah Schade


No comments:

Post a Comment