Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Living into Lent

Living into Lent this year has been different than any other year.  I've taken on the practices of the Lent photo-a-day (which you can see in my posts), but because of the corona virus and the need to change life and ministry, so many things have changed, for all of us.

Where I would have been going into hospitals or doing visitation, that stopped abruptly.
Where I would have been going into businesses or homes, that stopped, though I can (to this point), go order food, flowers, etc. and support businesses where I live and serve.
Where I would have met with folks in person for coffee and conversation, that is no longer.
Yesterday was my last socially distanced lunch with a church member prior to the new mandate of no gatherings.

I do not begrudge these changes.  These are good for all of us.  It is simply different. 

As if it wasn't difficult enough already to interpret how to live, love, and lead like Jesus, these days I find myself wondering what that means in a time when I can only reach out by calling, Zooming, texting, FB live, or FB regular, or FB messaging, or other technology.

I think back to my sermon several weeks ago at the beginning of Lent and I gave the analogy of us being on a roller coaster, so buckle up.  I had NO idea that the ride would become this wild.  Who knew that we would be giving up church for Lent?!?! Well, we didn't really give up church for Lent, but from my perspective (and many of my colleague's perspectives), when you look out upon an empty sanctuary while folks are at home watching, you at least joke about it. 🙂

It has been a good challenge and learning curve to do church on FB live for the past two weeks.  We've done well.  It was great to add music this past week.  We haven't been without technical difficulties, but there is a huge learning curve and it is in the midst of everything else.

Getting outdoors when it isn't raining has been life saving for me, allowing me to connect with God through creation, restoring my soul.  I didn't know how much I needed that until I got to do it and then until I shared about this past Sunday in my sermon.  It took me by surprise as I shared.  Restoration is healing, as is sharing about it.


Sometimes we give up things unintentionally or because of situations.  I mentioned that we've given up meeting in person for church this Lenten season.  But we haven't given up church or BEING the church.

I have seen the church BE the church in SO MANY ways these past several weeks, in spite of the different and difficult times.  That encourages me.

We have given up the physical touch (outside of our immediate household) of hugs, high fives, fist bumps, and handshakes, etc.  For non touchy folks, this is great.  Though there is physiological research that says we all need touch, so not so fast there.  I have been amazed and proud of my huggy little self for stepping back and not hugging, not fist bumping and not high fiving.  For a Mama Bear, a Free Hug Mom, that is a big step.

As I've said from the pulpit, I try to see the Lenten season as a time of not giving up things, bur rather as a time of taking something on.

I had no idea I would be back into distance learning (I taught online through beadisciple.com and as a language teacher at Chattanooga State and took seminary classes online) offering "Shepherd Check-in and Prayer Request" sessions, our Disciple's Path class, and meeting with multiple other groups via Zoom.

I had no idea I would be going FB live and learning new technology for preaching.

I imagine we are all doing things we had no idea we'd be doing.  Some are cleaning and cooking.  I'm doing some of the latter.  I actually spent time doing the former in my office yesterday.

When I am at work, I am alone, so it's a party of one.  No spreading anything or getting anything.

When I am at home, it is great family time and we try to negotiate study/work/family/etc. time around everything.  Mainly at home, it's all about Cliff.  Cliff rules our home, if you didn't know.


As I live into Lent this year, I continue to see some things unfold that began many years ago and last year.  I recognize things working in me and through me.  It is humbling and exciting, all at the same time.

To live as a beloved child of God who seeks to walk with other beloved children of God is an incredible adventure.

I know things aren't easy right now.  I know things are topsy turvy.  Hang in there.  Take a deep breath.  Breathe in. Breathe out.  Do it again.  It's okay to not feel okay.  Rest.  Allow others to encourage you.  Be.  Simply be.

In closing, I'll share the prayer that I closed out Sunday's sermon with.... I just started praying, but later someone asked me for it.  I told them that it wasn't written down, so they went back and watched the video and transcribed it for me.

Creator God, we come before You this morning, submitting ourselves to You; submitting our needs to You; submitting the many names on the prayer request list; submitting our community to You; submitting the prayer requests that have been sent in via email. We pray for those who are down and in despair. We pray for protection. We pray for healing. We ask that we would stop and listen. Yes, God, that we would stop and listen and that we would know that in this time that we as the church are a faith community and not a building - and that we would not forget that EVER; that we make ways to help those who feel isolated to feel connected and in community more so than ever that we truly are more the church now than we were ever before. God may your Holy Spirit infuse us. May we glow in the dark. May we be the light that you're calling us to be. And all God's children said AMEN.

May the peace of Christ be with you on this adventurous journey,

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment