Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Holy Ground


Last Friday I had the privilege of being on Holy Ground.  When I heard that a friend's cousin was on hospice and not expected to live, I let the person know that pastors are allowed to visit the dying in hospitals.  I didn't know where the cousin was at the time.  I didn't know if I would be invited in at the time.

The invitation came.

I grabbed three essential items: a mask, my pocket edition of the Book of Worship, and some anointing oil (my favorite is the frankincense and myrrh)

The time with the person and the family was precious and holy.

After sharing a prayer from the Book of Worship, I prayed extemporaneously for the person.

There was a sweet, sweet spirit in that place.  I felt like I had experienced God's presence and that we had worshiped together, that we had experienced church, all in a very few moments.

I had acted on a nudge (once again as acting on nudges is mode of operation for me) to reach out to this friend and extend this offer.  I'm glad I did.  I'm grateful that the family invited me in.

I have learned over the years that a part of who I am is walking with people, the dying and their families, through the valley of death.  I have done this for many years, as a lay person and as clergy.

It isn't always easy to put into words, but I have tried at times.  I have written other blog posts on the topic.

It is a holy and sacred privilege to walk someone home.

For this to be part of who I've been created to be is incredibly humbling.

As I reflect, "walking with" is who I am and what I do, regardless of the stage of life or situation in which someone is.

As you reflect, what comes to mind for you for who you are created to be and what you are created to do?  It may be more than one thing.  Take some time to think about it.  If you're not sure, ask someone else what they see and notice in you.  Pay attention to the words others have said in your presence.  Start putting them together and your puzzle will start to make more sense.

"Walking with" plays out in many different ways for me, but I've come to see it as the core of my being.

When I'm walking with, I am on holy ground, regardless of the situation.

Maybe that's another way to ask it.

What is your holy ground?

Peace to you on this adventurous journey,

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment