Monday, August 9, 2021

Messy Middle-- thoughts from a reading from Ash & Starlight

 I decided to open my new Ash & Starlight: prayers for the chaos & grace of daily life randomly this morning during my outdoor coffee time.  I figured that whatever it opened up to would benefit me in some way.  I wasn't wrong.

The book opened up to pages 44 and 45-- "When I'm in the messy middle of something".  I almost didn't read it.  I almost thought I would flip through and find something else, but I didn't.  Because there is much messy middle right now.

We are back in the red zone in the pandemic here in my area and have been for about 2 weeks.  That isn't just messy for life, but it becomes messy for leadership.  Truthfully, it was already a bit messy without us getting back into the red zone.  Seeking wisdom and discernment on how to be the church coming out of a pandemic and an ongoing/lingering pandemic at the same time is quite the challenge!

What else is the messy middle?  Getting all the preparations done for here and for the place I am heading to serve this week is one.  

The unknown of many things continues to cause 'messy middle'.  That liminal space.  Yet, that is where trust comes in.  Where I commit to the process and not the outcome.  Where I don't focus on the end result.

As I read this reading and reflected, it resonated with me.  I glanced at my coffee mug and smiled.  It made it through the process.  It is no longer a messy lump of clay, but rather a beautiful mug.  I wonder how many times the potter needed to start over with it?  How many times did it get mashed down and built back up?  I think about the process: the hands on the clay forming it, pinching it, and holding it; the firing and the glazing.  There was much work.  There was much 'messy middle'.  

Progress takes time.

Growth takes time.

Healing takes time.

"Help me embrace this messy middle time
when I must make space 
for shifts and questions."

Whether for my personal life or for my life as a leader, these words resonate with me this morning in this liminal space, in the unknown.

I don't know what will resonate with you today.  Whatever it is, may you find your way through to trust and to smile.

May the journey continue to be full of adventure!

Rev. Deb






2 comments:

  1. Sigh - so much am I still learning - healing is not linear, growth is not linear, progress is not linear. That reality - life - is more truly circular- or spiral - than linear. But nearly 60 years of “linear” thinking is difficult to unlearn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spiral, that circle... so true. It reminds me of a labyrinth. One moment it looks like I am close to the center, the destination and then I'm not. I'm on the outer edge of it all. That linear thinking is difficult to unlearn, but doable. Good to hear your voice. :)

      Delete