Saturday, October 23, 2021

Sabbath Time-- Creation Time

I spent 3 hours of my Sabbath day of rest on Friday soaking in creation, listening to the sounds of rustling leaves and the roaring creek at North Chickamauga Creek Gorge in Soddy Daisy.  I sat on rocks, climbed around on the rocks, spent time in my hammock, read a little bit, enjoyed a tootsie pop, blew bubbles, and enjoyed the silence and solitude.  Basically, I wasted time with God.  I took time to 'be still and know'.  It was a delight, as Sabbath time is meant to be, a time to enjoy the beauty around me. The activities mentioned are spiritual activities for me.  You can call them spiritual disciplines or practices as well. Which ones specifically? Rock sitting. Hammock time. Reading. Enjoying the tootsie pop. Blowing bubbles. Silence. Solitude. Pretty much any thing that brings me into the presence of the Creator and allows me the opportunity to rest, to listen, "to be", etc. -- those things are spiritual disciplines/activities/practices. What I practice in creation isn't the 'end all' of my practices, but they are ones that give me energy and draw me into relationship with the Creator.

I was able to remember my baptism as there was water in a hole of a rock.  That was an unexpected benefit to the recent rains.  

Some leaves were showing their red and yellow colors.








At one point while I was in the hammock, I heard a clacking noise below and sat up.  I saw a kayaker making his (her?) way down the creek.  That was an unexpected bonus!

It was a beautiful day and a restful time apart.

I posted several photos and a video on Instagram and Facebook with an invitation.

Here is that post:

"I invite you to join me here on the rocks, by the North Chickamauga Creek on my Sabbath. Listen to the water with me. Watch it flow. Look at the leaves that are changing color. Hear the wind blow? Notice the hole in the rock with water? Take a moment to remember your baptism and that you are a loved, beloved child of the Beloved. Breathing in. Breathing out. Peace on this day."

I enjoy inviting others to join me on the journey, to listen to what I am hearing, to see what I am seeing. Walking with others along the way/the path is an integral part of the faith journey for me, as we are all in this life together.

Other photos from my time apart.

#seeaheartshareaheart (heart rock!)






I've shared what brings me life in this post.  A few questions before we go.  If you'd like to respond, please do so.  I'll respond back.

  • What do you enjoy doing that fills you up and draws you nearer to the Creator?
  • How do you 'waste time with God'?  
  • What are some of the spiritual activities/practices/disciplines that give you life and energy?
Thanks for sharing the adventurous journey with me!

Rev. Deb



[All photos are mine. Taken at North Chickamauga Creek Gorge, Soddy Daisy, TN 10/22/21]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment