Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Psalm 62--lectio divina reflections

I decided to read some Scripture this morning-- or rather to allow it to read me. Lectio divina, sacred reading, is a reading method that resonates with me.  

It is a spiritual practice that I float in and out of. Having just finished Daniel Wolpert's chapter (chapter 2) in Creating a Life with God on it, I decided it would be a good time to dive in.

A few notes from Wolpert before I share from my lectio reading:

  • "...allow the words to sink down into the depths of your being." (52)
  • "The Word of God becomes real and alive and active in you right here, right now." (54)
  • "Prayer is not a product; it is a relationship." (56)

Looking through Nan Merrill's Psalms for Praying, I landed on Psalm 62 and these two verses (6-7):

For You alone my soul waits in silence;
my hope is from the Beloved.
Enfolding me with strength and steadfast love,
My faith shall remain firm.
In the Silence rests my freedom and my guidance;
for You are the Heart of my heart,
You speak to me in the Silence.


As I reflected, these words "enfolding me with strength and steadfast love" stood out to me. 

This brings to mind my spiritual practice of spending time in a hammock, of being. When I am in a hammock I am enclosed, enfolded, almost as if I am in a cocoon. I am able to to rest in that space, knowing I am held. 

The time strengthens me, refreshes me, renews me.

During the days and months of the pandemic, I spent much time in a hammock.  It was healing. It was transformational. 

It helped me be still. It allowed me rest. I waited in the silence and was reminded of love as I regained strength and hope.

I have been missing hammock time and the reading this morning reminded me of the benefits of this spiritual practice for me.

Hammock time was and is a time of freedom and guidance for me. It is a spiritual practice go-to when I am feeling overwhelmed, stressed, uncertain, tired, seeking connection with the Creator, and/or any other thing.

I truly sense the enfolding of the Spirit in that space.

Where (when, how) do you sense the enfolding love, hope, and strength of the Beloved?

Hammock time isn't the sole time for me, but it is what came up in this morning's reading of Psalm 62.

It is good to listen. 

May the listening bring forth fruit.

So be it.

And, may the adventurous journey continue!

Rev. Deb

June 2022 hammock back yard

No comments:

Post a Comment