Thursday, February 15, 2024

Ash Wednesday--Lent begins

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. The Lenten season is a 40 day preparation season leading up to Easter. Only Sundays don't count in the 40 days, as Sundays are "little Easters". What's all the preparation for? In the past, it was a time for people to learn and prepare for baptism. Overall, it's a time of reflection leading toward the death and resurrection of Christ. These are my words. You can find more scholarly explanations out there in books, devotionals, on the internet. 

As I was reflecting yesterday about Ash Wednesday, I saw a JGP (photo) about Ash Wednesday and Valentine's Day that really resonated with me. It caused me to think further about things. I wrote a short post about it and included a short portion from Psalm 139 from Nan Merrill's Psalms for Praying.

"Ooohhhhh. This is perfect! God, who is love, created us in God's image. Thus, we are love. We are from love and will return to love when our time in this realm is over.

What a great way to reflect on Ash Wednesday.

Here is Psalm 139: 23-24 from Nan Merrill's Psalms for Praying, as an additional reflection this day:

"Search me, O my Beloved, and know my heart! Try me and discern my thoughts! Help me to face the darkness within me; enlighten me, that I might radiate your Love and Light!"

Remember you are love and to love you will return."

I spent time with a group of great folks from my spiritual direction program on Zoom for a bit. It was wonderful to re-connect with them and to establish a new space with them going forward in our journey as spiritual directors in group supervision.

Riley and I went to lunch in a new place for us, OB3B. It was a cute and fun deli. The reuben was delicious!




When I got home, I took some photos of the crocuses in the neighbor's yard.





I went to Welcome Home of Chattanooga, as is my custom on Wednesdays. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that a barbershop quartet was coming that afternoon. And, the wonderful "cookie lady" brought special cookies for the day. In addition, I had several great conversations.



Upon arriving home, I was told Cliff put out petals for me leading to a beautiful bouquet of roses on our dining room table. Cliff is our sweet dog. Who knew?!?!



We headed over to Burks UMC where we would be attending the Ash Wednesday service. Prior to the service, I wanted to walk and pray the labyrinth that is found on the back of the property. Unless I make an intentional effort to go there, I don't. Last year it was my Lenten practice to walk and pray the labyrinth once a week. That's not a bad practice. I decided to incorporate that again into my week. Maybe I can do more than once a week.

As I walked and prayed the labyrinth yesterday, there were several things that swirled in and out as I walked the path of the labyrinth. There were two thoughts that stood out about everything else: "thy will be done" and "joyful obedience". 




I participated in the readings with the pastors Rev, Dr, Brian Burch and Rev. Leslie Daniels for the Ash Wednesday service. I am grateful for the opportunity to assist. I received my ashes.


It was a full day, a good beginning to the Lenten season.

Deb

2 comments:

  1. A very full day indeed. Love, loved the ‘remember you are love…’ liturgy. It brought me back to week 5 of Academy. A perfect liturgy for me on this Ash Wednesday. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for taking a moment to share your response.

      Delete