Thursday, September 23, 2010

Determination. Perseverance. Courage. Impacting the World.

Actually, my thoughts are swimming.  I have about three or four blog entries in my head right now.  I'm not sure which will come out.  Probably all of them. 

A few weeks ago I began this journey of blogging.  It is a new journey for me in some ways.  Not the writing or journaling part.  But, the "putting-it-out-there-for-folks-to-see" part.  Most of my journals are in spiral-bound and other notebook types.  I started writing when I was in elementary school.  I would "blog" our family trip adventures in tiny notebooks, telling on my little brothers, sharing about the nature I saw as we drove into campgrounds, etc.  Throughout my life I have shared some of my thoughts with some people.  Now, I'm sharing with "who knows who?", living "who knows where?" :)

One reason I am writing is to help me clarify the questions in my own life.  As I write about my journey, I might be able to see more clearly.  Another reason I write is to strengthen my writing skills.  Though these are the main reasons I write, I do wonder from time to time if anyone (besides "forced" family members) reads these things. :)

I have been humbled and amazed to learn that there are a few readers out there who haven't been "forced" to read.  Comments have encouraged me in that area.  Then, an e-mail came that completely humbled me and reminded me that it is not me in charge, that I am simply a willing vessel seeking to obediently do my part.

Someone has been reading.  And this someone told me that the words have spoken to them as if I'm right there.  And, the "messages" match what this person has been experiencing and needing.  Only God could do that.   (This would be where you would hear me say a "go God!", "woo hoo" or even see me do a little "go God spirit dance".  But, I'll spare you.)

Have you ever experienced that?  I have.  I experience it quite often with Mark Davis' reports from his radio show, the Healing Touch.  He has a "word" for the day.  It is amazing how often that word speaks to me-- whether it is for me personally or to pass along to someone in my life.  Words of encouragement, truth, etc.  Recently Mark has written on mentoring, Goliath, and armor of God, just to name a few. 

If we each "do our part", what can be the result?   What does "doing our part" mean?  For me, it means being 100% God's, no matter the cost.  Now, that's not always easy.  Nor do I always submit.   In fact, I have a prodigal daughter story that goes back to a time when I had given God 100%, no matter the cost.  Then I grabbed some of that percentage back.  Then I re-submitted, but not without some significant consequences.  This, too, has been an incredible and important journey in my life.  One that I've been blessed to share on Crossroads and Chrysalis Journey Weekends and at other times. 

That 100% can also be termed "radical abandonment to Christ".  That's what David Platt calls it in his book, Radical:  Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream


My husband asked me to read this book.  I wouldn't read it for a while.  He said it reminded him of a friend who put it all aside to go across the world for God.  I didn't want to read it because I'm fairly "radical" already these days and didn't know what this book might do. :)  My husband said it was a risk he was willing to take.  And, since he said "go with the flow" back in 2006, I decided to jump in.  I haven't finished the book yet.  I read it in small bites.  It's powerful.  Along with the other books I'm reading, I can't very well escape the fact that I am called to be 100% abandoned to Christ.  This has been my mission statement, though worded differently, for many years.  The question for now, is-- what does this mean at this time in my life?  Each step of the journey requires us to ask ourselves, 'how does this step reflect living my life for Christ?'

What if we're not 100% sure about something?  What if we get tired?  What if we feel like giving up?  This is where the body of Christ comes in.  The body of Christ is meant to be there for "one another" by activating and incorporating practices of prayer, discernment, and mentoring.  These practices, along with several others not mentioned, can provide wisdom, guidance, and encouragement.  Remember, we are not alone on this journey.  Or, at least we aren't meant to be.  Whether we hear it from Scripture, the Holy Spirit, or a companion on the journey, sometimes we need to stop.  Sometimes we need to go.  Sometimes we need to pause, wait, and listen.  Sometimes we need to be bold and courageous and "go for it". 

Putting on the armor of God is a helpful thing, at all times.  I once used my daughter's taekwondo sparring gear as a visual for the armor of God.  Just as she wouldn't head out to spar in class without her gear, we would be wise to not head out daily into life without our "gear".

Today, a young lady taught me a lesson in determination and perseverance.  She has been riding a unicycle for only a few months.  She decided to try something new today.  She wanted to try going up a steep hill.  She was bold when she told us she would do it.  She rode down to the spot, turned around, got situated on the cycle.  Then, she was a little less sure of herself.  I imagine it looked slightly different from her new angle with the hill in front of her sloping upward.  Her mother and I shouted encouragement down from above.  We told her to go for it, to pedal, to just keep on pushing.  That may not always be the best advice.  But in this situation, it was appropriate.  This young lady started off.  It took courage to take that first step, or in this case, that first push of the pedal.  You could see the determination in her face.  She was focused.  We weren't really sure she would make it.  She pedaled.  She kept on pedaling.  It was steep.  You know what?  She made it!  She persevered to the top!  Victory!

  just starting out
 
       almost there... she started at the black mailbox
 behind her (not the one by her hand)
This young lady impacted my life today because she reminded me that even though the hill may be steep, I can still make it.  I can make it in the power and strength of the One who has called me on this journey.  

I'm not just called to share it within my geographical or social borders, but throughout the world, to the ends of the earth.   David Platt reminds me that by making disciples is how I can impact the world: "Indeed, Jesus has invited us to join with him in the surprisingly simple journey of spreading the gospel to all nations by spending our lives for the good of others and the glory of God." (Radical, 87)

How is God calling you to impact those around you today

I can only make it up that hill pedal push by pedal push (or step by step).   Transformation is in the journey!

May your hills be high enough so that you know you can only make it outside of your own strength, yet not so high that you don't take the first step.

~Debra



  

No comments:

Post a Comment