Friday, September 3, 2010

To blog or not to blog...

Several of my friends have blogs... one even blogs from Camel land.  A cousin has begun a blog to tell of her adventures in a new country.  I don't know if it is "blog-envy" or simply the desire to finally start my own, but I decided that today was the day.

That was the easy part.  Coming up with a title and then the URL took a little more time. 

Now for the first post.

I thought I'd define the key words in my title: journey, adventure, alien.  Since my dictionary is still in a box from remodeling days, I will use one of my daughter's children's dictionaries.

Webster's New World Children's Dictionary
  • journey-- a trip; an act of traveling from one place to another.
  • adventure-- 1 an exciting and dangerous event. 2 an unusual experience that will be remembered.
  • alien-- 1 a person from another country. 2 a person living in a country but not a citizen of it. 3 an imaginary being from outer space. 
Now that the terms have been defined, let me explore the meaning behind the title of my blog: "The Journey is an Adventure; I am an Alien".

     I see life as a journey, an adventurous one at that!  I love to travel.  Maybe I'll share some of my travel adventures here.  Beyond travels to states and countries, I've experienced "travel" in my life in other ways as well.  I have gone from one place to another professionally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
    At some point on the journey of life, I began to see it as an adventure.  I don't know if I would have used the term "dangerous" as in the definition, but I have found myself in dangerous places along my travels. 
     I don't fit #3 on the alien definition, though there might be some folks who would disagree with me, especially my daughter.  I am currently living in the United States and am from the United States, so #1 doesn't fit me either.  Politically, I am a citizen of the United States.  So, what do I mean?  I mean that even though I live in this world, I am not of it.  My true citizenship is of the kingdom of God.  What does that mean?  Simply, that I belong to God.  Yet, living it out isn't all that simple.  But, this is an introductory post, so I'll stop for now.

Thanks for joining me on this leg of the journey.  I hope that you find your journey experience(s) to be adventurous as well.

~Debra

3 comments:

  1. debra,
    i must say that i am very honored to be mentioned (indirectly) in the very first sentence of the first post on your blog. i look forward to being a loyal reader from afar. :)

    and now i will honor you with your very first comment. (does that make sense in english? in arabic instead of being honored by being invited to someone's house you are honored when they spontaneously come to visit you - likewise, dropping in on neighbors uninvited is honoring to them...i forget if it can work the same way in america...) i'm glad you are a confused alien, and hopefully equally unaware of the norms and appropriate customs as i am becoming. :)
    love you,
    bex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogland! I imagine you will post more often than I have managed. Looking forward to it!
    Love ya!
    Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for stopping by. I'm afraid I might become addicted to writing on this thing. :)

    Bex, how awesome that it is honoring to drop by folks unexpected. I'm not so sure folks here in America see it as such. hehe. Yet, I can see how it is that way. I love it!! Watch out folks-- I'm going to start honoring you with unexpected visits. :)

    Val, I'm waiting expectantly for more.... bring it on!!

    ReplyDelete