Monday, October 25, 2010

Reflections.....

Well, we were planning to spend some time hiking today.  My husband is off today and we were going to hit the woods.  However, we woke up this morning to the tune of thunder and raindrops.  Even though I'm disappointed to not be able to hit the trails today, we need the rain.  The ground has been parched.  The air has held the dust and pollen and now can be washed clean.  Needed rain is now soaking the earth. 

So, instead of doing my de-briefing on the hiking trail, I guess I'll do some writing today.  Reflection. 

Last week at Camp Garner Creek I received lots to think about through great teachings, great conversations, silence time, etc.  As I was instructed, I took "copious" notes.   Now, to start thinking through all of that and to see what I can learn from the experience.


The weather was perfect there!  Camp Garner Creek is about 45 minutes outside of Nashville, TN in Dickson, TN.  They were affected by "the flood".  The waters came into several of their buildings and they had to evacuate the camp.  There was a women's group there that day that was forced to leave early.  They have done a good job in restoring the bridge, fixing up the chapel and the dining hall.


I learned that community pulled together to make it happen.  Community. 

Community is what we are called to be as followers of Christ.  We come together to worship, to study, to help one another in times of need, to fellowship with one another, to carry one another's burdens, to share one another's joys.  We were created to function best in community.   I've written about intentional communities previously.  Communities that gather with the intentionality to learn, grow, serve, and be.  Wherever you are, are you in a community like that? 

As I'm listening to the falling rain, I am thinking about the less than flowing creek at Camp Garner Creek.  Even though the creek wasn't filled with water, there was some water.  And, that allowed me to take pictures of water, to sit by the water, to experience a tiny frog hop back into the water as I walked along the rocky creek shore.  Water is an important part of my connection with nature, God's creation.  I was glad there was a source of water.

 


 

What does your life reflect?  Who does your life reflect? 

If I'm going to ask a question, in all fairness, I could answer the question.   It's a great question.  It's one that I'm not always able to answer by myself.  Sometimes it helps me to have others answer that question for me.  Why?  Because sometimes what I think my life is reflecting is not the same as what is actually being reflected.  That's where the "mirrors" of the community come in for me.  Folks that can reflect for me what I cannot see clearly.  

So, what do I think my life reflects?  I believe it reflects someone who is and who has been on an intentional pathway of seeking, learning, growing, and changing.   Ultimately, I hope my life reflects Christ.  I recognize that there are many hindrances and blockages to Christ being the sole reflection in my life, but that is my ultimate goal, to be so transformed into the image of Christ that folks see Christ more than they see me.  

I've got a long way to go....  but the point is, I'm on the journey.  And, there are others with me on this journey.  Folks that can help me see when I'm off-track.  Folks that can encourage me along the way, speak truth into my life, pray with me and for me, walk along side me, etc. 

Dare I be bold enough to ask for reflections?  [big gulp]  I've written that others are an important source of reflection.  Hmmm..... I'll take the extra step, this one a risky one.  What and/or who do you see my life reflect?

Or, maybe you've been reflecting and you'd like to share your reflections on your own life.  Share them. 

May there be joy in your journey!

~Debra








No comments:

Post a Comment