Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Marcela Gándara's Music ministers to my soul

I first became aware of Marcela Gándara's music when Pastor Edgar Ponce and his wife Norma came to the United States in the Fall of 2007.  I met them in Knoxville and we drove to Chattanooga where they had several speaking engagements set up.  On the way, we listened to one of Norma's CDs, and there was a song by Marcela Gándara, «Un viaje largo».  It was special to her.  It has become special to me.

A very powerful and moving song.  Lest you think you need to know Spanish to be moved by this artist, I have read reviews from people that don't know the language, yet have been touched and moved by her singing.   After looking into her songs, I ordered the CD, «Más que un anhelo» with the song «Un viaje largo» on it.

Another song, «Una aventura», caught my attention.  It was powerful too.  Things were working out for me to lead a mission trip for the summer of 2008 to Costa Rica.  The team was coming together as well.  I asked one of the ladies who sings heavenly if she thought she could prepare two songs in Spanish.  She accepted the challenge and did a wonderful job of it! 

What a blessing to be at Pastor Edgar's church in Los Guido and to be able to minister to them in song as part of the service.  Norma was surprised and blessed.  And, for my missionary team partner/friend....wow!  What a blessing to hear her sing in Spanish, even though that's not one of her languages.

Though I've been focusing on those two songs on Marcela Gándara's album, a trip a couple of months ago allowed me some driving time and the opportunity to find a song I hadn't heard before.  Another powerful song.  «Dame tus ojos»

I find myself often listening to this song as I drive around town.  I cannot listen to it without it penetrating my heart, my mind, my soul and therefore causing brokenness as I recognize the distance between who I am and who I desire to become like.  I want eyes to see, words to speak, and to be like Christ.  I want to be changed by Christ's love. 

Translated into English (my version):

Give me Your eyes, I want to see
Give me Your words, I want to speak
Give me Your semblance/being
Give me Your feet, I want to go
Give me Your wishes to feel
Give me Your semblance/being
Give me what I need to be like You

Give me Your voice, Give me your breath
Take my time, it is for you
Give me the path that I should follow
Give me Your dreams, Your desires, Your thoughts, Your feeling
Give me Your life to live

Let me see what You see, Give me Your grace, Your power
Give me Your heart.  Let me see in Your inner being, in order to be changed
by your love... Give me Your heart

[chorus]

Here is a link to the song by Jesús Adrian Romero and Marcela Gándara:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV_ByfcdDoY

Lyrics in Spanish: (you never know who may be reading this and can understand Spanish)

Dame tus ojos quiero ver, dame tus palabras quiero hablar, dame tu parecer...
Dame tus pies, yo quiero ir, dame tus deseos para sentir, dame tu parecer.
Dame lo que necesito, para ser como tú...

[Coro]
Dame tu voz, dame tu aliento, toma mi tiempo es para ti,
dame el camino que debo seguir.
Dame tus sueños, tus anhelos, tus pensamientos, tu sentir,
dame tu vida, para vivir...

Déjame ver lo que tú ves, dame de tu gracia, tu poder...
dame tu corazón. Déjame ver en tu interior, para ser cambiado,
por tu amor... dame tu corazón...

[Coro]
Dame lo que necesito para ser como tú.
Dame tu voz, dame tu aliento, toma mi tiempo es para ti,
dame el camino que debo seguir.
Dame tus sueños, tus anhelos, tus pensamientos,
tu sentir, dame tu vida para vivir.

Dame tus ojos, quiero ver... dame tu parecer...

Journeying on down the road--sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. 

Sometimes I'm focusing on the song «Una aventura» ("An Adventure").  At other times, «Un viaje largo» ("A long journey" NOTE:  I am choosing "journey over "trip" for «viaje»)).  But for today and for the recent past, the focus has been on «Dame tus ojos» ("Give me Your Eyes").

Even if Spanish isn't one of your languages, I hope you'll take some time to listen to the song.  When you do, you may wonder why or how it has captured me because it may not capture you.  That's okay.   God uses different things to minister to us and to minister through us.

As I prepare for a bilingual 2 year academy, I have a feeling I'll be using more and more Spanish on this «jornada» ("journey").  Don't worry, I don't  believe I'll go into teacher-mode and attempt to teach you, the reader, lots of Spanish.  Nor do I plan to switch over into writing in Spanish.  Though, I guess I could start another blog in Spanish..... hmmmm.... But that might cause procrastination from my studies or other responsibilities.  And that would NOT be good.

Time to close this one out!!

Bendiciones en tu jornada, (Blessings on your journey)

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment