Saturday, March 12, 2011

Several hours at the creek... roaring waters and waiting

Yesterday (March 11), I was able to spend several hours down by the creek at one of my favorite hiking spots.  I'm going to share my journal entry and add to it-- pictures, lyrics, and some quotes from a book I read while there.

My journal entry:

3/11/11

After doc visit, something inside me said "outdoors", so I headed to one of my places, N. Chick.  I thought it would make for some good pictures with all the rain we've had.  As I drove in, kayakers were preparing their gear.  An added bonus to being outside in God's creation!  While I await their arrival down the swollen creek, I'm listening to the almost deafening roar of the swift flowing water as it passes over and through the rocks.  I love it.  It's sunny and slightly breezy.  I have paper on which to write, a book to read, the Word of God, and I'm sitting on a rock.  Ahh... If only I had stopped to grab lunch.  Is it too late to claim that I was going to fast from lunch so at to spend contemplative time with God?! :)

There are so many things on my mind.  The biggest (I think) is recognizing that once again I have entered a waiting period.  I have faithfully and obediently taken the steps to apply to seminary (and to actually take courses) as well as to apply to the 2 year bilingual academy and to commit to it.  Now, I wait.  However, my waiting is not passive.  I am actively learning, seeking, growing, serving, etc. as I wait.  There is a song I've heard a few times on the radio.  All I remember at the moment are the words "I will serve you in the waiting."  I'll look up the rest of the lyrics later.

Many, many years ago when I taught languages at Bryan College, I did a word study on "wait".  I'm sure those results are in a file somewhere in one of my boxes.  One thing I learned back them was that the word "wait" was closely related to the word "hope".  That made sense to me as the Spanish word esperar can mean both "to wait" and "to hope".  Maybe I'll do another study now that I've learned about http://www.blueletterbible.org/ where I can easily check on words and find out all kinds of information.  (This resource has been great over the past several years!)

Waiting... It's preparation time, growing time, learning time, trying out my wings in new areas to see if that's where I'm created to fly.  I have some idea, but a very dim picture.  Maybe I'll be more courageous as my friend in camel land and come up with a description that fits my passions, gifts, and grace and say 'this is what I'm called to do'.  And, maybe, there will be a place for me to do it.  I believe I will see more clearly as time goes on.

Meanwhile, my soul rests.  My soul rests even though the waters around me are flowing and churning.  There is peace.  Now, where are those kayakers? :) 

~Debra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I waited about 2 1/2 hours for those kayakers before I had to head out for a prior commitment as a reading volunteer for some 4th graders.   I may go back out today and see if anyone is on the creek in their kayaks.  I love watching kayakers.  I have some decent pictures from the Ocoee one July 4th, but I digress.  My interest in kayaking?  I've tried it.  I'm still a wanna-be.  But, with frozen shoulders and pain, well.... it's going to be a while before I get back in a kayak.

Now, here are some pictures from my outing yesterday at the North Chickamauga segment of the Cumberland Trail.

looking upstream

looking downstream

just thought this was cool looking

me looking into sun with upstream view behind me

There were a couple of other things I jotted down on my notebook paper before putting it up to read.  I looked up two verses that related to what I was thinking and experiencing.

Isaiah 55:1 (NIV)-- "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters;"

Psalm 130:5 (NIV)--"I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The song that came to mind while I was writing is by John Waller.  The title is "While I am Waiting".  If you saw the movie Fireproof, then you may be familiar with the song.  As I re-listen to the song and read the lyrics, I see why this song "popped" into my head yesterday. 

Here are the lyrics and a link to listen to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_ZWbtTlE8&feature=related

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
While at the creek, I did spend some time reading a book as I mentioned up above.  I thought I might share some of the quotes and thoughts here, but I'll share some from that in another post.  This one is long enough.  Oops.  That means I'm leaving you, the reader, waiting.  (Throwing in a little humor, albeit poor and corny.)
May your soul find peace and rest along the journey, even during the waiting,
~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment