Monday, May 23, 2011

Be Still... [updated]

How hard is it for you to be still?  It can often be excruciating for me. :)  In my daughter's taekwondo classes, often at the end of class the instructor has them be still.  They are to be still for several minutes.  To help them focus, he tells them to quietly say to themselves something to the effect of "no talking, no moving".  [I can't remember the exact phrase at the moment.] 

Having a short phrase to focus on does help one to focus on "being still".  When I attempt to be still, that's when my brain is attacked by every chore I had forgotten to do.  People, places, things fly through my thoughts.  One of my short phrases (for several years) has been: "Be still and know that I am God".  Psalm 46:10

It is becoming more important for me to make time to quiet my mind and body, to be still, to create space to listen.  I find that when I go several days without this practice, I can tell that I need it.  Not only do I need it mentally, but physically.  Be still.

Be still.

Be still and know.

Be still and know that I am God.

This verse is one that I've been camping out with for several years and don't foresee my graduating from it.  I may add others to my quiet time to change things up, depending on where I am at the moment, but the need and desire to "be still" will always be a part of my journey. 

How are you doing with being still on your journey?  What do you do to help you "be still"?   Besides the short phrase, there are lots of things that one can use for a visual focus-- candle, art, religious icons, cross, etc. 

In your still time, are you able to listen?  That is the goal of becoming still.  To quieten ourselves so that we can hear our Creator speak. 

Sometimes, as with human relationships, there may be no words.  It is enough to be in the presence of the other in silence.

May your journey include times of silence as you become still and know...

~Debra

PS-- Here is a photo of a mug I bought on a family trip to Little Switzerland, NC in July of 2009.  It is hand-made by Jane Willis, a local potter and substitute teacher. 
 





UPDATE: (May 25)

I've heard this song before and heard it again this morning on the radio.  It's by Stephen Curtis Chapman--"Be Still and Know".  Sometimes, music helps me be still.  This song ministers to my thirsty soul.
Lyrics:
Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know that He is holy
Be still, O restless soul of mine
Bow before the Prince of peace
Let the noise and clamor cease

Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know that He is faithful
Consider all that He has done
Stand in awe and be amazed
And know that He will never change
Be still

Be still, and know that He is God
Be still, and know that He is God
Be still, and know that He is God

Be still; Be speechless

Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know He is our Father
Come rest your head upon His breast
Listen to the rhythm of His unfailing heart of love
Beating for His little ones
Calling each of us to come
Be still, Be still

5 comments:

  1. Debra, I am encouraged by you and your posts/writing/thinking/chewing as well. Happy we can resonate with one another through FB and the "blogosphere." I know about the trouble with that whole "being still" thing, believe me (he restlessly types, knowing that after his lunch break he has to return to an auditorium for the rest of the day and sit immobile!). David H-T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather-- I knew a TKD person would set me straight. :) You gotta admit that the no talking would be handy with those young 'uns as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, really?!!? Sit immobile in an auditorium for the rest of the day?? Are they torturing you before Spain?? YIKES! I hope you survive! That is not my concept of "being still" :) Forced stillness in an auditorium doesn't seem conducive to relationship growth. However, it does have its place in learning, in jobs, etc. May the muscles that must endure, endure best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work with youth at church and to get them to be still and quiet is very hard. The chaos of our lives makes being still almost impossible. Prayer/Meditation can help clear ones mind and heart to hear God and I need to do a better job of it myself.

    ReplyDelete