Friday, May 6, 2011

Swirling...Shoulders...Sisters...Be Still...It's going to make you stronger...

Swirling
Though the physical storms have passed through our area, they left a path of destruction.  The clean-up is ongoing here (in the southeastern TN, north GA and north AL area) as well as many other areas of these states and other states.  It has been encouraging to see all the help and support come forth.  It is needed now and will continue to be needed for a while.

Another swirling of sorts has been going on in my life, though that doesn't seem abnormal.  This week has held lots of interesting things for me.

Shoulders
I got a great evaluation at physical therapy and the shoulder doctor.  My frozen shoulders have improved significantly these past six weeks.  This latest round of PT has included major amounts of stretching and soft tissue work.  I don't know if the healing can be attributed to the therapy, the timing, or both-- but healing is taking place.  That is huge for me, to have more movement in my arms without pain.  This summer will be 2 years from when I first started having some issues.  The doctor has recommended 3-4 more weeks of PT, for which I am grateful.  Hopefully we'll get all the little issues taken care of!

Sisters
On the day I had PT and the doc. appointment, I had lunch at Rembrandt's between the two.  Rembrandt's is a great little café in the Bluff View Art District in Chattanooga.  They have wonderful coffee, yummy desserts, great soups and sandwiches.  On that day, I had the tomato artichoke soup and some chai latte tea.  It was a little crowded inside and a little too cool and windy to sit outside.  The only table available was a 4 seater near the cash register.  So, I took it.  While I'm eating, 3 ladies came in looking for a place to sit and to order their food.  As a tiny two-seater had opened up, I offered my table, but they declined.  Then, another 4 seater opened up by the door that leads outside.  We didn't have a whole lot of conversation, but a little.  Then, a few minutes later, another group of three enters looking for a place to sit.  I offer them my table and go ahead and move my stuff to the tiny table.   They accepted my offer.  I was now sitting closer to the three ladies.  They thought maybe I worked there because I had recommended the soup.  It turned out that two of the ladies live here in Chattanooga and one was visiting. At one point, the visiting lady turns to me and tells me something to the effect of: 'We're sisters.  We're spending time together this week visiting and catching up.  I just had to tell you that.'  They told me that the three of them were very similar in many ways and in their beliefs and thinking.  It became evident that they were on a faith journey as well.   The fact that the one from Texas told me that and told me that she had to tell me... well, it makes me ponder-- 'what am I to learn from this?'  One thing it did for me was to encourage me in all of my relationships..... to make sure I'm making time to keep the connections strong.  If not in presence, at least through e-mails or phone calls, even texts.  It's not always easy, but I'm trying.  Time has a way of slipping quickly by.  A second thing that struck me was my upcoming trip to FL with some girls.  A group of us are heading down to a beach house for some sun, sand, and surf.  I am the lucky one who also will be writing a paper and studying for a final exam.  Sisters.  I am blessed to not only have these sisters, but a group of sisters that I've gotten to know this semester in my CL613 class, our "Mark" group.  Then there are other sisters in Bible Study, Sunday School, church in general, around town, out of town, family folk--aunts, cousins, grandmother, mom, daughter, step-daughter, sister-in-laws (former and current), ETC.  Not to mention the connections that just seem to "happen" through other connections.  I've tried to cover all situations here.  There are many, many past and present relationships for which I am grateful.  They have helped me become the person I am today.  It's true.  Sisters are a blessing.

Still
I heard a new song yesterday.  What I heard at first were the words "Be still".  Now, those words, along with the rest of Psalm 46:10 are meaningful to me and have been with me for several years.  I'm a slow learner. :)  At the end of the song, I learned the title: "I Lift My Hands" by Chris Tomlin.  There were quite a few words that grabbed my attention in the song.  Thus, I'm sharing the lyrics:


I Lift My Hands” by Chris Tomlin, from the album “And If Our God is For Us”
Be still, there is a healer
His love is deeper than the sea
His mercy, it is unfailing
His arms are a fortress for the weak

Let faith arise
Let faith arise

I lift my hands to believe again
You are my refuge, You are my strength
As I pour out my heart, these things I remember
You are faithful, God, forever

Be still, there is a river
That flows from Calvary's tree
A fountain for the thirsty


Pure grace that washes over me

So let faith arise
Let faith arise
Open my eyes
Open my eyes

I lift my hands to believe again
You are my refuge, You are my strength
As I pour out my heart, these things I remember
You are faithful, God
You are faithful, God, forever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJunLrnx5M&feature=related (Chris Tomlin shares background on the song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKfylpCl0s (the song itself, the best sound one I could find, though there are others out there)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The song touches me on several levels.  As I mentioned, it is taking me a long time to learn to "be still".  Some days I get it, other days I don't.  I'm aware that this will be a life-long learning process on the journey. :)  Being able to lift my hands up.... well that is something I can do better now than before.  So, the song touches me on that level as well.  There is more, but that suffices for now.  Besides, there is one more song that I keep hearing on the radio.

Stronger
I've heard a song several times now.  The words of this song tell me that even though the waves are kicking me under, the pain isn't going to last forever, that this is going to make me stronger.  Hmmpphh!!  What if I don't want to be stronger??  You know the feeling..... though we may recognize that there is growth on the other side of pain, sometimes we just don't have it in us to keep on going through the pain to get there.  So, what if it's going to make us stronger.  Honestly, if you knew everything in my life, and if that transferred into some sort of physical body-building, then I would look like one of the best trained body builders in the world. :)  I think I'm strong enough, thank you. :)  [You may be thinking the same thing.  That you've been through enough already.]  Yet, I realize that I really do have more learning and growing to do.  So, I'm willing to grow through the pain.  I'm willing to reach out when I no longer have the strength to hang on and throw out my rope to others and say: "on belay?"  It is within community that I have the strength to keep on keeping on.  And, it is within community that you have the strength as well.

Anyway, here are the lyrics to the song.  It's by Mandisa.  From the album: "What if We Were Real"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgv-VRtMEU&feature=related (link to the song)

"Stronger"
Hey, heard you were up all night
Thinking about how your world ain't right
And you wonder if things will ever get better
And you're asking why is it always raining on you
When all you want is just a little good news

Instead of standing there stuck out in the weather
Oh, don't hang your head
It's gonna end
God's right there
Even if it's hard to see Him
I promise you that He still cares

When the waves are taking you under
Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
And things can only get better

Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger
Gonna make you stronger, stronger, stronger
Believe me, this is gonna make you ...

Try and do the best you can
Hold on and let Him hold your hand
And go on and fall into the arms of Jesus

Oh, lift your head it's gonna end
God's right there
Even when you just can't feel Him
I promise you that He still cares

'Cause if He started this work in your life
He will be faithful to complete it
If only you believe it
He knows how much it hurts
And I'm sure that He's gonna help you get through this

When the waves are taking you under
Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
In time it's gonna get better

Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, that's what's going on in my life. :)  What's going on in yours?  How is your journey going?  Whatever you find yourself going through, I hope that you can find your way to a place of realizing that yes, it is going to make you stronger (if you'll allow it to) and that you can make it through.  Remember that we're not meant to make this journey alone, that we can't make it alone.  Reach out to others. 

I'm looking forward to being spit out on the beach for a few days (how's that for a Jonah reference?  though it might mean we'll have to go deeper one day and pursue where is my "Nineveh"?)  I'm looking forward to finishing my M.A.P. paper there.  (Ministry Action Plan).  This paper has been swirling around inside of me since we started this semester.  Whew!  What a semester!  What a week!  So many good things.  Lots of difficult things.  That's life.  In the end, it's what we do with those things and how we choose to allow them to affect us.  I'm hoping that I'm growing in humility and learning to love others more than myself.

As the journey continues, may we learn from one another and may we support and encourage one another.  I encourage us all to share our stories, to create safe spaces for others to be able to tell their stories.  Telling our stories, listening to other people's stories.... it's part of the journey.  It helps us connect into the bigger story. (Like me haphazardly mentioning Jonah... and thinking about Nineveh... just something to think about...)

~Debra

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy writing your paper on the beach! Maybe have a margarita there?

    ReplyDelete