Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thoughts and quotes from Jesus Calling over the last few days and weeks...

As it continues to happen, when I read the devotions from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, often the words strike and penetrate to the core of where I happen to be at that particular time in my life.  Sometimes, what I read might be more for someone else and I find that I have the opportunity to share it later.

I thought I'd go back today and jot down some of the things that stood out to me over the past days and weeks.  There might be something here that speaks to you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do not let any set of circumstances intimidate you.  The more challenging your day, the more of My Power I place at your disposal." (November 11, page 330)

"Approach problems with a light touch.  When your mind moves toward a problem area, you tend to focus on that situation so intensely that you lose sight of Me.  [....] When a problem starts to overshadow your thoughts, bring this matter to Me." (November 15, page 334)

"As you look at the day before you, you see a twisted, complicated path, with branches going off in all directions.  You wonder how you can possibly find your way through that maze.  Then you remember the One who is with you always, holding you by your right hand. [...] As you look again at the path ahead, you notice that a peaceful fog has settled over it, obscuring your view.  You can see only a few steps in front of you, so you turn your attention more fully to Me and begin to enjoy My Presence.  The fog is a protection for you, calling you back into the present moment." (November 16, page 335)
Peaceful fog in my front yard-- 11/22/11

"Not many Christians know how to live in this radical freedom, which is their birthright.  I died to set you free; live freely in Me!  To walk along the path of freedom, you must keep your mind firmly fixed on Me. [...] Be content to be a simple sheep, listening for My voice and following Me." (November 17, page 336)

"Instead of trying to figure things out yourself, you can relax in the Presence of the One who knows everything. [...] Stay in touch with Me, even during your busiest moments." (November 18, page 337)

"Leave outcomes up to Me. Follow Me wherever I lead, without worrying about how it will all turn out.  Think of your life as an adventure, with Me as your Guide and Companion. [...] Enjoy the rhythm of life lived close to Me.  You already know the ultimate destination of your journey: your entrance into heaven.  So keep your focus on the path just before you, leaving outcomes up to Me." (November 19, page 338)

"You don't have to perform well in order to receive My Love.  In fact, a performance focus will pull you away from Me, toward some sort of Pharisaism.  This can be a subtle form of idolatry: worshiping your own good works.  It can also be a source of deep discouragement when your works don't measure up to your expectations." (November 20, page 339)

"Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity. [...] You give Me thanks (regardless of your feelings), and I give you Joy (regardless of your circumstances).  This is a spiritual act of obedience--at times, blind obedience. [...] Thankfulness opens your heart to My Presence and your mind to My thoughts." (November 24, page 343)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what in these quotes (if anything) might speak to you as you read them.  What have these things said to me?  Mostly they have reminded me to continue to trust and follow, to take life one day at a time, to live each moment to the fullest, to be thankful, to live into the freedom I've been given, to relax, to enjoy....

Blessings on your journey. 

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Debra. All of these quotes are helpful, but I especially like the image of fog and the accompanying quote. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure... I'm glad you found something in the fog. ☺ I enjoy fog and was glad to have fog that day in my yard... and to find the quote to go along with it.... Well, that added to it. Your response caused me to go back and look at the picture and re-read the quote. That was good for me, as there are many times when the path gets foggy. All I required to do is to keep my attention focused on God and enjoy being in God's presence. Debra

    ReplyDelete