Tuesday, June 12, 2012

If You're Distracted and You Know It, Clap Your Hands....

So, I wrote the blog post first, then tried to thing of a title.  And what came to mind but the children's song, "If You're Happy and You Know It...".  So, I thought I would change it to "If You're Distracted and You Know It...".  I know, pretty bad/sad.  But, I imagine it caught your attention.  Don't worry, it gets better from here.  The focus is on a quote by Gerald May:

"Whether we are distracted or not, whether we know it or not, whether we even want it or not, a communication between the soul and God keeps going on beneath the surface of our self-awareness. It is given, everywhere and at all times. There is no need to attain it; there is nothing we have to do to make it happen. Neither can we escape from it." ~ Gerald May, The Awakened Heart.

This quote was posted today on the Shalem Institute's Facebook page.  It caught my attention (obviously).  They posted a Gerald May quote today because today is the anniversary of his birth. 

What caught my attention?  "distracted"... along with the fact that whether we are aware of it or not (I currently am; I would describe it as 'restlessness' at the moment.), there is still "communication between the soul and God [...] beneath the surface of our self-awareness."  Whew!  Very good to know!!  Because some days, some moments it doesn't seem like it.  It rather seems that I'm living 100% of my own accord, in the flesh, and not communicating at all with God, though I desire to be and am really attempting to be.  Another example of a paradox-- wanting to communicate with God, yet feeling like it simply isn't getting across.  Like the connection is offline or something.  However, to be made aware that the soul and God are still communicating beyond my awarenes gives me some hope and relief!  Whew!

Gerald May goes on to say that "there is nothing we have to do to make it happen".  Hmmm.... then, why do I try?  I guess I try because just like with my friends and family, I desire that communication and want to see some physical evidence of it.  Yet, maybe I can become a little more satisfied realizing that even when it seems I'm not communicating with God, I am.  Something to work on in my journey. ☺  I imagine it is akin to being among folks and without words, you know you are still communicating with one another, simply because of the relationship you have.

Gerald May finishes this thought with "Neither can we escape from it."  That is another comforting thought-- we cannot escape communication between our soul and God.  I like that.  Something to think about.  Something to be thankful for. 

Thanks Shalem Institute for posting this thought-provoking quote today!  It definitely resonated within me.

Does it you on your journey?

Shalom as you travel and as your soul communicates with God!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment