Monday, June 11, 2012

Reflecting back on June 3--communion, buckets, church conference...

I haven't written yet about last Sunday, June 3.  It's been a busy week and I haven't had much time.  But last Sunday was a significant Sunday in many ways.  So, with the gentle rain waking me up a few minutes ago, I decided to go ahead and write about it.

June 3rd was one of those days that you knew was going to be busy... it was the first Sunday of the month, which means it was Communion Sunday in most Methodist churches.  Our church began a home-bound communion outreach last fall, but I knew I wouldn't be able to participate on this particular Sunday because of it being the last Sunday before the buckets were to be delivered to the District Office.

There were others who take part in the Home-Bound Communion Outreach who stepped up and out to cover that for Sunday.  That was one thing off my list. 

That meant I could concentrate on buckets.  Though my position as Director of Missions was officially over in May, the Hands-On buckets project for the Conference was one of the big projects we were doing (as were most Methodist churches).  We had gotten in most of those 5 gallon LOWES buckets, but we knew some would be coming in on Sunday, so the missions co-ordinator and I planned to check them in, pack, and pound (with a rubber mallet) the tops on that afternoon.  We checked quite a few in between services that morning!  That afternoon we spent a couple of hours packing and pounding away! 

Besides the buckets, June 3rd was to be the called Church Conference for me, to allow the church to vote on whether or not they supported me in my Ordination journey.  This was to take place after the first service, right before Sunday School, taking a little bit of Sunday School time.  That meant sacrifice.  Sacrifice of service time and Sunday School time.   Because we did have communion that day in service and we also had a very wonderful and special time to recognize the seniors in our community, there wasn't time for the sermon.  The pastor referred to the notes on the back of the bulletin, pointing out the highlights about the table.  The table is/was a table of sacrifice, love, and grace.  Those are/were the three points that stuck out to me as the pastor was living out those three by giving up his sermon time.    (He did get to preach in the 2nd service, and I was glad to be able to hear it!)

So, after the 1st service, it was time.  Church conference time.  Those who attended were given 3x5 index cards to place their "YES" or "NO" votes and their names (as a way of marking attendance).  Even though I had been to and through the Staff Parish meeting, this step in the journey was a little more nerve-wracking for some reason.  The pastor introduced the meeting, briefly describing what it was and its purpose and then handed the microphone over to me.  I had about 4-5 minutes to share my calling.  So, I shared quickly. ☺  I shared that which I felt like I should and stopped and sat down.  Thankfully, my pastor filled in the gap about me being in seminary and taking classes and shared that he was my mentor for the mentored ministry classes this past year.  At least those who didn't know I was in seminary did then.  Nice save, Nathan!  Thanks! ☺ 

Then, they voted.  Several folks came up to me afterwards, to share words of congratulations, encouragement, and support.  That was a blessing.  One person came up to me, showing me her card.  Since I had my glasses on, I couldn't see close up and was thinking to myself, 'I don't want to see a "YES" or a "NO" vote.'  However, what she said was that she was visting and not voting.... and that is what she had written.  She was a retired elder in the UMC and had gone to seminary with Nathan.  She came up to introduce herself.  That was pretty cool. 

Index cards were collected and we left.  I went to Sunday School.  Then, I came back for 2nd service.  The 2nd service is the Contemporary one.  It is our daughter's favorite one.  We sit up in the balcony for it.  I enjoy the worship and change of pace.  A little while into that service, the pastor looks up into the balcony and asks me if I'd like to know the outcome of that vote.  Uh.... not really..... not in front of all these people, thank you.  That's what I was thinking.  And thinking I'm glad I'm way up here, out of sight of most folks.  He went on to explain some about church conference and what had taken place and then mentioned that the vote was very close, then he said 50-0 in support/favor.  Whew!  Wow.   Okay.... that was a relief, a blessing, and extremely humbling!  Thank you Burks UMC for your support and encouragement!

The service went on.... worship, sermon, communion.  As I mentioned, I was glad to be able to hear the sermon in the 2nd service, and not just see the notes on the back of the bulletin.   It was during communion, as we in the balcony were preparing to go down that it struck me that this was the last communion with these two pastors.  Not only were they my pastors, but being on staff this past year, they were my colleagues.  Plus the lead pastor had been my mentor for mentored ministry the entire year as well.  Both of these men had allowed me to live into "iron sharpening iron" since we had come to Burks, even before I came on staff.  So, as we headed down to take communion, I recognized that this was one of those moments to capture in the journey.  It meant something to me to be in their line that day, the day of my church conference, the last communion together.

Beginnings and ends.  Alpha and Omega.  Paradoxes.  To be held together because they go together.  As I continue to learn and grow and dive deeper, there are more paradoxes to live into.  They aren't always this simple.  But, it's okay.  They are all part of the journey. 

I continue to be "blown away" by a God who continues to love me and work in me and through me. 

June 3rd is one of those days, those "marker" days in journey.  It may simply be a number on a calendar for most; but for me it marks a significant day in my path.

How about your journey?  As you reflect back, what are some of the significant moments and days for you?

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. BonnieB, Academy 32June 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

    I'm so happy for you and can feel some of the great love you felt that day! You're a blessing to me by being a part of my own journey. bb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang next month! Debra

      Delete