Monday, October 22, 2012

Oreos and Milk... Now that's communion!

The last day of Session #6 of the Academy held some interesting conversations and encounters for me.  In the couple of weeks since then, some things have happened around one of the subjects to spur me to write about it.

But first, one of the cool things that happened that last day for me was that I got to meet and shake hands with the Methodist Bishop of Cuba who was in Florida for a meeting with the Florida/Cuba prayer group.  I had learned the night before that he was there and really hoped to meet him.  Cuba has been my dream country to visit since I was a little kid and heard my grandfather talk about going to Cuba to check out the pine trees.  My grandfather was State Forester of Georgia many moons ago, so pine trees were part of his life.  I had a very brief encounter with the Bishop, spoke with him in Spanish, got his business card.  I still have hopes and dreams that I will get there one day.

After meeting him, I sat down for breakfast with some folks.  This is where my "oreos and milk" story starts.  Table fellowship is a special time.  Folks gathering around a meal becomes a wonderful time to share.  Sharing can become growth producing and challenging; it can become healing; it can be funny; it can be serious.  It is community building.  At this particular meal, somehow the conversation turned to communion.  Our worship leader, Irving, shared about a communion in particular in which oreos and milk were served.  BING!  I cannot tell you why, but that certainly got my attention.  It resonated deep within me to a place and point that I'm still trying to understand.  What I know is that it felt real and it felt right.  Sure, it sounded "cool".  But, so much more than that.  First, the "cool" factor.



How many of us have dipped an oreo into a cold glass of milk?  And then tasted the yumminess of soggy oreo?  Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.  For some reason, the verse 'Taste and see that the Lord is good.' comes to mind right now. 

Can you imagine setting the table with your oreos and milk and inviting your friends, your enemies, the outcasts, the rich, the poor, the hungry, etc. to come partake in the meal that is set before them?  I can imagine that.  I wish I had been able to witness that communion that Irving was sharing with us.

Others went on to share different communions they had experienced and/or offered.  It was a thought-provoking and heart enlivening conversation for me.

Why? Why would conversations about communion and how it's done get me excited?  That's a great question.  In fact, that's a question I've been wrestling with and attempting to discern for many years now.  In my core, I believe I have a sacramental calling to the elements and that is why communion calls so deeply to me.

It started when I was a kid, at the altar rails of the Episcopal Church.  It continued as I shared communion with those of my wedding party (the first time around).  As I took communion to the home bound for several years and shared with them, there was something that continued to grow.   I got married in 2004 and my husband and I were able to serve communion to our guests with a specially made communion set by a very dear friend.

Communion Set made by Dawn Raburn, 2004

Last week, my retired Navy Chaplain friend and his wife gifted me with a communion set that he used in the Navy.  I was overwhelmed by this gift.  I hope to learn more about this communion set as I'm sure it has lots of lives and stories surrounding it.


I have been blessed to serve communion many times in church after the elements have been consecrated.

I have been humbled to be able to assist in the communion ceremony three times now with other pastors.  One of those was at the Academy the time I gave a homily in Spanish.  I was able to help with the liturgy portions of the "Great Thanksgiving" (Our teamwork pattern was that anytime she gave me the finger--pointed toward the paper--it was my time to read.  It was a good system, though I chuckled the first time she gave me the finger.)  The other two times have been in situations where other clergy weren't around and a seminary student was the next closest thing.  This time the seminary student was also a "Certified Candidate".  Under the elder in charge each time, I got to lift the cup, say a few words and then offer the cup to the body. 

It's different when you have the words in front of you than when you are going from memory.  And, as it was with teaching for 24 years, I imagine I'll get a little better at what I say and how I say it as I grow and live into my role.... whatever that may be.

For now, all I can tell you is that communion, the holy meal, the Eucharist... (whatever you want to call it) holds a special place in my heart and soul.  Not only for me to receive it so that I remember, but to share it with others.

All this writing is making me thirsty.  How about a cold glass of milk?  And, while I'm at it, I wonder if there are any oreos around here?

Blessings on your journey,

~Debra

P.S.  I recognize that some people will not agree with me in thinking that a communion of oreos and milk is "cool".  In fact, some may think it worse than that.  However, I rarely have communion with unleavened bread and wine as Jesus offered.  What about you?  Thus, for me, I am able to live into the symbolism and fellowship of the table offering and remember Jesus... as Jesus lived, as Jesus served, as Jesus asked that we live and serve.  So, hopefully, we can agree to disagree and come to the table together.

No comments:

Post a Comment