Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Red Sea Rule #8--Trust God to deliver in His own unique way.

Last week during Wednesday night Bible Study we covered Red Sea Rule #8--"Trust God to deliver in His own unique way."

God even delivered the message that night uniquely in that the regular teacher (Amy) was out sick due to lack of voice.  So, Pastor Rowland stepped in to lead the class.  He mentioned that her nickname around the office that day had been "squeaky".  That was pretty funny.  At the same time, not so good as I knew she had a 2nd Emmaus weekend coming up the next day and was scheduled to give a talk during the weekend.  "Squeaky" to no voice doesn't work well when one is to give a talk.  God delivered Amy to the Emmaus Walk and delivered a message through her there as well, from what I understand.  But that's not about the study Wednesday night.

The handbell choir opened up our time together in worship.  What a blessing.  I always enjoy listening to them and watching them.  They rang "On Christ the Solid Rock", "Have Thine Own Way", and "Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus". 

Pastor Rowland started off the study with a recap of rules 1-7.

Then, it was time to jump into rule #8.  Rowland shared that Moses is/was called the "deliverer".  Then, Rowland showed a video of Moses' life from his birth and deliverance to safety, to his calling and the burning bush to his delivering God's people.  It was a good overview of Moses' life.

I was able to find the Moses video he showed on YouTube.  It plays for 6 minutes and 54 seconds.  You can watch it by clicking here.

Exodus 2:10-- (NIV) "When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, “I drew him out of the water.”"

Moses was drawn out of the water.  Water is a motif from the beginning for deliverance in Moses' life.

Moses has times in his life when righteous anger causes him to react to situations to help his people, but they aren't calls from God.  They aren't the time nor place of God's divine call or purpose.

However, when God's divine call does come to Moses, Moses comes up with several excuses.  Even though Moses has felt it, even though he had his burning bush experience and was drawn to God, he isn't 100% sure he can go through with this.... Besides, likely it isn't quite what he pictured.  God is calling Moses to something beyond what Moses himself can see.

Exodus 3:11-15 (NIV)--
11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”

12 And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.

13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’
“This is my name forever,
the name you shall call me
from generation to generation.

What God tells Moses here is: "I see", "I hear", "I am aware".

What Moses responds to God is: (his attempts at excuses, backing away)
  • "Who am I?" (what authority do I have?) 
  • "Who is God?/What is the name of God?" (who are you? / who do I say you are?)
Another excuse/response from Moses doesn't come until Exodus 4:1 and Moses asks: "What if they won't believe me or listen to me?"

God responds to Moses by telling him two displays of power he can show the power of God and God's authority through.

There is yet a 4th objection from Moses.  Moses doesn't give up on trying to get out of his divine calling.  In Exodus 4:10, Moses basically says, 'I don't have what it takes.' in saying that he isn't able to speak.  God replies saying: 'I made you.'

Exodus 4:10-11 (NIV)-- "Moses said to the Lord, “Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”
11 The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?"

This is a reminder to Moses (and to us) who is calling the shots, so to speak.  What is interesting here is that God isn't pumping Moses up, telling Moses 'you can do it', but rather reminding Moses who God is

I don't know about any of you reading this, but I can definitely relate to Moses and his objections (excuses) before the Lord.  I've pulled several of those same "cards" in trying to get away from my calling.  It hasn't worked too well for me either. 

Pastor Rowland said: "When God calls you to do something, say "yes" and God will work through you."  It will be much easier on us if we say "yes" up front and move on.  However, if we do like Moses, we will grow through that process as well. ☺

Toward the end of the class, Pastor Rowland tied up the teaching of Moses' life as a "deliverer" and his calling to Rule #8 and mentioned that there is a purpose for the miracles of God.

Moses was used by God to free the people, to be their deliverer.

In Exodus 6:6, God told Moses what to tell the people once again: "“Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment." (NIV)

The underlying and ultimate concern of miracles is to know God as Lord.  Miracles are supernatural suspensions of natural laws. 

God may deliver through miracles.  Or, God may give grace to endure (like the thorn in Paul's flesh.)

Character transformation is the desired end product and we can trust God to deliver us in God's own unique way.

Thank you Rowland for stepping in and teaching the class!

As always, this is a combination of my notes and thoughts.... so I hope I have done justice to the class and the teacher.

  • Are you wrestling with a divine calling like Moses and attempting to dissuade God as to why you are not the right person?

  • Are you in need of a miracle or deliverance in or from a situation?

Maybe some of these words can bring encouragement your way.

Blessings on your journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment