Saturday, August 31, 2013

End of August-- transitioning into fall

Chester Frost Park

Today is August 31st.  The last day of the month.  Tomorrow is the first day of September.  School has been in session for the Hamilton county schools here for several weeks and for the universities for a couple of weeks.  In that sense, summer is over.  The weather here is a different story.  Here in Tennessee, it is hot and humid with scattered thunderstorms.  UGH!! 

My semester starts next week.  I'll be gearing up in my studies as I hit the road the first two weekends in September for my intensive class on the Wilmore campus.  I will also be winding down the BeADisciple workshop I've been facilitating as we finish out weeks 6 and 7 the first two weeks of September. 

It is a transition time.  Again.

Transition is ongoing.  It is a cyclical occurrence. 

Just this past week I began leading a Women's Bible Study in 1 John.  We will cover all three of the John letters over the next several months as we meet together.  I look forward to meeting with this group of ladies and hope others will join us. 

This weekend is a transition weekend for many as they enjoy one last long weekend of "official" summer time before school starts back in most areas.  For those of us who've already started back, it's a welcome mini-break from the routine already in progress. ☺

I took my daughter to the Chester Frost Park beach area this afternoon for a swim after visiting with my brother at his campsite.  Though it wasn't overly crowded, there was a good number of people enjoying the water to cool off on a hot and humid day.  Kids were swimming around in the water, running around on the sand, and playing on the playground equipment.  Some folks were resting in the shade of the trees.  There were quite a few folks around speaking my heart language, my second language--Spanish--so that brought some extra joy into my afternoon. ☺  I held off as long as possible before I said the first «hola» to someone. 

Soon the beach area, playground, and picnic tables will be abandoned for the fall and winter months.

It was good to spend a few moments there today enjoying such a beautiful place that is so close by.

As the time quickly passes me by, I am attempting to be present with friends and family.  I am attempting to make the most of the time that I have and the relationships that I have.

September starts tomorrow.  There is much to do on my lists.  But more important than my "to-do" lists are my "to-be" lists.

How about you?  How are you living into the transition times?  How are you living into the present?  How are you living into your "to-be" lists?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra 

No comments:

Post a Comment