Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Folding clothes with Pandora...

I took a paper-writing break to fold some laundry.  Not only did I need a mental break, I needed to physically change my position from being at the computer and writing/typing.  So, what better thing to do than fold laundry?!?  [I imagine we all could come up with answers, but it needed to be done!]

I didn't simply want to "fold laundry."  I wanted and needed a refreshing filling for my heart, mind, and soul during this "break" from thinking and writing.  [Who knew that folding laundry could be a "refreshing filling" in this way?!?!]

So, I took my smart phone with me into the laundry room, pulled up the Pandora application (app) and did a search for Keith Green.  Pandora is new for me.  I just started using it this month when I went for my first intensive weekend at Asbury.  I really hadn't gotten into before then.  But, I had heard mention of the "liquid minds" channel as something helpful for sleeping and thought that might be good for my travels.  And, so it has been!  So, today, I was fearful to use "liquid minds" for folding laundry with the rain still coming down outside.  I could see a nap rather than accomplishing folding.  But, then again, sometimes the most refreshing and spiritual thing one can do IS take a nap.

Not today.  I searched for Keith Green and found him.  Pandora gave me only one Keith Green song though.  Then, I heard, "Give me Jesus."  What was so odd about that was that this was the song that the students had chosen to sing this morning at Prayer at the Pole at Hixson Middle (in the rain this morning).  They used the Jeremy Camp version and sang along to the chorus.  The version that came up on Pandora was Fernando Ortega.  He sang the entire song.  His singing touches me.  Always has.  Whether it has anything to do with him being Hispanic/Latino or not, I don't know.  It might. He has been here in Chattanooga a couple of times in concert and I've been able to attend.  It is always worshipful.  Just like this afternoon.  Hearing him sing the song penetrated to my soul.

Folding laundry is one of those ordinary tasks in life.

However, there are ways in which the ordinary can become extraordinary and even sacred when there is an intentional focus in the midst of it.

Today, folding laundry was sacred for me.  It was a time of refreshing filling and rest. 

Unfortunately, I only got 1/2 of the pile folded (1 load full) and decided I should write about my experience.

Now, whether I get back to writing the paper or laundry folding or who knows what.... is yet to be seen.

But, for you, I have this video link of Fernando Ortega singing "Give me Jesus".

 
Jeremy Camp:
 
 
Lyrics:

In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus

When I am alone
When I am alone
When I am alone, give me Jesus

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus, 

You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus

When I come to die
When I come to die
When I come to die, give me Jesus

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
You can have all this world,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

May something along your journey go from "ordinary" to "extraordinary" and "sacred" today!

Blessings,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment