Thursday, September 19, 2013

From the river to the mountain...


Back in May 2010 I bought two journals I found in a quaint store in Apalachicola on a girls' trip to Cape San Blas, FL.  The memories of the sand, surf, and sunsets still can bring me to a peaceful place!  The two journals that I bought were: Advice from a River and Advice from a Mountain, guided journals from "Your True Nature".  [Check out their website for their various products.]

I decided to start using the Advice from a River journal when I began my Academy #32 journey in July 2011.  I came to the last pages of that journal this past weekend on my 2nd intensive weekend for my seminary ethics class on the Wilmore campus. 

I have been carrying around the Advice from a Mountain journal with me for months, not really knowing when I would run out of pages. 

I had forgotten what the inside of Advice from a Mountain said and back in the Spring when I was preparing for a talk for an Emmaus walk, I pulled it out to take a look at it.  I realized that as I was nearing the end of my Academy journey, the Advice from a River (going with the flow) journal was also coming to an end.  My first thought (fear) was that the next journal was going to say something about climbing steep and difficult terrain.  I wasn't so sure that I really wanted to use this journal. 

But when I opened it up, the first words on the opening page of the journal were: "Dear friend...Reach new heights"

That was much different than what my fearful thoughts had anticipated.

I could live into this new part of the journey.  Though I have been enjoying the river ride and going with the flow, I can live into reaching new heights.  "Going with the flow" wasn't simply a journal saying.  It was something that came from my husband as I shared a deeper calling back in 2006 on a mission trip and I wondered what it meant at the time.  His response was to "go with the flow".  And, I have been.  We have been.  And, oh what a wonderful journey this is turning out to be!

Even as I embark on this new realm of reaching new heights, I doubt I'll be too far from the river.  One finds both waterfalls and rivers near mountains.  I imagine that I will have some opportunities to still "go with the flow" and live into the other aspects of the first journal.

Ilan Shamir has created these beautiful nature journals. 

In the "Story of Advice from a Mountain" Ilan shares:

"The mountains, the rivers, the wildflowers, and the cloud patterns calm me in the midst of yet another busy day. [...] Sure, there are those days when I feel on loose ground, not sure of where I stand and not firm about who I am or my convictions, yet the mountains and timeless beauty of nature help me return to solid ground...the strength of my own true nature."

Because I am learning to know myself  and my Creator better, I know that one of my better connections with my Creator is within creation, so  this resonates with me.  As do many of the Psalms that bring out the beauty and power of God's creation. 

On the back of the journal there is a synopsis of what this journal is all about:

"Reach new heights!
Savor life's peak experiences
Stand in the strength of
Your True Nature
Rise above it all
Get to the point
Rock on!"

Standing in the strength of my true nature is a place of continued learning and growth for me.  But, ultimately, it means standing in who I was created to be.  It's that journey of learning who this unique creation is and living it out that adds to the adventure!

The longer version is inside the journal:

"Dear friend
Reach new heights
Savor life's peak experiences
There is beauty as far as the eye can see
 
Stand in the strength of Your True Nature
Be Uplifting
Follow the trails of the Wise Ones
 
Protect and preserve timeless beauty
silence, solitude, serenity
flowing rivers
ancient trees
 
Rise above it all
Make solid decisions
Climb beyond your limitations
Leave no stone unturned
Never take life for granite
 
Get to the point
Patience, patience, patience
Life has its ups and downs
Let your troubles vanish into thin air
 
To summit it all up
Enjoy the journey step by step
 
Rock on!"
 
~Ilan Shamir
 
I have approximately two years left of seminary to finish out my M.Div. degree.  I'm at 63 hours, very close to 2/3 of the way done for the 96 credits.  With the 5 credits this semester (praying for satisfactory completion and decent grades!) I will be up to 68 credits. 
 
I wonder if this journal will carry me these next two years like the river journal carried me the past two years?!?!  Who knows?!?! 
 
What I do know is that I am looking forward to continued adventures along the journey.   I look forward to learning, growing, and sharing these times with you.
 
How is your journey going?
 
Debra
 
PS-- For a link to a blog entry about my Advice from a River journal, you can check it out by clicking on the title: Advice from a river.... Go with the flow.





No comments:

Post a Comment