Monday, July 21, 2014

Christ the King Retreat Center.... my home for the week


I arrived this afternoon to Christ the King Retreat Center in Buffalo, MN after an odd day of travel for me.  I say "odd" because there were all kinds of mix ups, yet I remained calm through it all and simply went with the flow.  That wouldn't have been me back 5-10 years.  I would have worried more about missing my flight, etc.  I don't know if I would have reacted differently if I had been in charge of a group or had I not traveling by myself.  But, there was peace in and through it all.  I was a little concerned here and there, but nothing like days gone by. 

Here is my travel day: 

When I arrived at Groome Transportation, they didn't have me on the list.  When I gave them my reservation number, they said my reservation had been canceled because I didn't show up on JUNE 21.  I told them that I had gotten a verbal confirmation for JULY 21 and JULY 25 (return) from the person helping me with my reservation.  Unfortunately, the number 6 had been put down instead of 7.  What that meant for me this morning was that I was not on the 8:00 am shuttle to Atlanta, but the 9:00 am shuttle.  I worked on my homework assignment in their lobby and then most of the way to Atlanta. 

Though a little concerned about making my 11:55 am flight, I got into the airport, got my boarding pass (with a little snag because my number on my print out was too long for the kiosk), and headed to security.  I haven't traveled with my laptop in a while, so I learned the get-a-dirty-look-and-almost-get-in-trouble-way that you are supposed to put it in a separate bin.  I took it out of my backpack.  It was an honest mistake. 

I took the wonderful train to Concourse D.  After making a pit stop and thanking an Air Force service woman in uniform quickly and briefly for her service, I was off to my gate.  What do you know?!?! It was all the way down the long hallway.  I got there and they were loading.  A full plane.  But here is where it got better.

I had LOTS of leg room (important for a short 5'4" person) because I was in the emergency aisle.  I wasn't cramped.  We landed 20 minutes early.  That meant I might be able to make the earlier shuttle.  When I got to the shuttle area, I made a call to the shuttle folks and they had room for me.  I then called the travel angel on our retreat end to let him know I would be arriving on the earlier shuttle.  I got to the meeting spot an hour earlier and I got to ride the shuttle with a very special passenger!

 
From the drop-off shuttle location in Monticello to Buffalo, MN is only about 15 minutes or so.  We drove through Buffalo looking at the Buffalo.  Though I didn't get pictures of them today, maybe I'll get out and get some again this year.  Last year I kissed one of them.  (These aren't real buffalo.)
 
We arrived at Christ the King Retreat Center, home sweet home for this week of the FUMSDRL retreat.  It is good to be back here.  As soon as I got here, I could feel some of the stress I had picked up over the past couple of days melting away.
 
With a full week at SOULfeast last week and only being home 2 1/2 days, you might wonder what in the world I could have picked up in that time?!?!  Well, that's another day.  Even just the minor incidences of today's travel day were allowed to slip off me.
 
What struck me most, however, was tonight's worship time after dinner.  Dinner was a good time to start getting to know some of the board members that I've only heard over the phone and a couple of the retreatants that arrived early.  It was also a good time to catch up with folks I met face to face last year.  There are missing faces, however.... those from last year and those who couldn't make it that would have been here for the first time this year.  Varying circumstances.  Those whom I met, I miss.  Those whom I have yet to meet, I miss the opportunity to have met them.  For each person and situation, they are being held up in thoughts and prayers.
 
Worship.... a wonderful and meaningful way to begin our time together.  Flute music, silence, prayer, holy communion, the Upper Room Worship Book, passing of the peace, etc.  It was a special time.  Psalm 42.  Psalm Prayer #270 (based on Psalm 42).
 
 
As you can see, this Psalm Prayer was adapted from Psalm 42 by Judy Holloway, 2006.  It reads:
 
Quench the thirst of my heart, O God.
Sing the song of your love deep within me.
Lead me to the waters of mercy,
for my hope is in you.  Amen.
 
This speaks to a depth I cannot not explain, yet can sense.  Again, one would think that after last week of SOULfeast I would be full to overflowing.  In many ways I am and have been.  Yet, with the theme of soil and tending to the tension of being and doing, I imagine God has plans for me this week. 
 
It's not all going to be about the business of FUMSDRL (Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders).  Yes, I'm here for the board meeting.  I'm here for the fellowship.  Yet, I'm sensing God has me here for something far beyond what I can even comprehend at this very moment. 
 
What I do know is that deep calls to deep and that Psalm Prayer touches a very deep place within me. 
 
As I walked around this evening, marveling at the beauty of the flowers, the sky, the water, and the sunset, what rang in my mind was this:  My soul, my soul magnifies the Lord...
 

 
Though I am thirsty and seek God to quench my thirsty soul, at the same time my soul leaps out to magnify the Lord with all its being.
 
This is how I enter my week here at Christ the King Retreat Center...open, expecting, and ready to be led deep into the waters.
 
Blessings on your journey,
 
Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment