Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Follow the trails of the wise ones...

I took some time this morning to write in my journal.  I am writing in Advice from a Mountain these days.  I started this journal in September 2013 after I finished the Advice from a River journal.  As I opened up my journal, this is the page that was the next empty space on which to write:


I found this extremely appropriate as I am here at Christ the King Retreat Center, surrounded by spiritual directors and retreat leaders.  I am blessed to be in the presence of those who have gone before me on so many paths of life.

I sometimes wonder how in the world I ended up here... and I smile as I look back.  (There were conversations with a friend on the West Coast that led to my being on the board and to my being part of the newsletter team.) How I came to FUMSDRL in the first place?  I see myself as a retreat leader because I have been blessed to be a part of retreat teams in the past and have led a half day retreat.  But I'm not very much experienced beyond that.  I have written a retreat for one of my classes that is close to being ready to go... it just needs a team and a little fleshing out.  It's on the topic of prayer and spirituality.  I hope to be a part of more retreat teams in the future and possibly lead more day (or half days) in my area.  As for spiritual direction, I'm what I call a "wanna-be".  I'm not one trained or officially, but I do see myself heading in that direction and have in some ways been doing direction.  But, I have much to learn.  As I have much to learn in many areas of my life.

And, that is where I can learn as I follow the trails of the wise ones... who have also followed the trails of other wise ones.  At dinner last night I heard a great question that caused me to reflect, chew, and journal.

In this morning's board meeting, we started (as we always do) with a time of centering.  We were asked to offer a word that described our spirit this morning.  There were several words that went through my mind, but I landed on "open" and knew it was the right place.  My spirit is open.  As I reflected on that, I could feel a smile broaden on my face.

John Blinn, one of our board members, led us in this time.  After we shared our words, he read in lectio divina style a short passage.  It spoke to me.  The second time he read it, he asked us to reflect upon the challenge in it.  The third time he read it, he asked us to reflect upon the invitation in it.

There were several things that spoke deeply to me in it.  So much so that I took a picture of it. 

 
This may not speak to you as it did me.  However, humor me for a moment, if you will.  Take a few moments and read over the words above in the image, slowly and reflectively.  What speaks to you?  What challenges you?  What invites you?
 
What spoke to me?  What challenged me?  What invited me?  Pretty much all of it.  I am growing into my identity, my true self.
 
I am free to be me... to be real... to be true... to work out my identity in God.  My full identity is hidden in God and God will make me who I am... who I will be.... when at last I fully begin to be.

John played one of his Native American flutes after this, taking us into a time of silence.  He played it at the end of our time of silence as well.


Wow! I thoroughly enjoy the sounds of these flutes!  Karen C. Moore, our FUMSDRL board director, plays them (prays them) as well.  Either John or Karen will play them on our phone board meetings.  I have been hearing these sounds for a couple of years now....  Let me just say for now that this sound speaks to me.  I don't really know what this means.  In fact, I'm not sure I want to explore it.  I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it if it means more than simply enjoying it as a listener.


For now, I sit with the sound of others praying their flutes.  And I listen.  Not only do I listen to the sound of the flute, I listen to and take note of the trails and paths they have traveled to arrive where they are now.

As others arrive today for the start of the retreat, I will be able to listen and observe many more trails this week. 

Oh, what a blessing to be here for this opportunity.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

3 comments:

  1. Ask if that flute you photographed has been signed. On the back of my cedar flute, which I got in Gatlinburg about 2000 or 2001, is "Nighteagle 2841." That one looks exactly like mine, with six holes (some have only five holes), except mine has four grooves circling below the "bird" that adjusts the sound.

    I played my flute whenever I taught the Native American Spirituality section of my religions of the world classes at Chattanooga State. A woman who lives two doors down from me here in St. Louis (I moved here from Hixson in June) made her own flute and prefers to be called Native Indian. The sounds these flutes make is beautiful. Find some of the music by R. Carlos Nakai, maybe on YouTube. I especially like to play his "Whippoorwill." Very haunting melody.

    I found a version of "Whippoorwill" like he played on an early audio I have. It's the version found in his book of music "The Art of the Native American Flute" (1996). This is the version I play, though obviously not accompanied by a string quartet!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7vRGyTkMxg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Bonnie! I will ask! I was wondering... I thought you were visiting, but wasn't sure from a post I had read. Guess I need to catch up more on my reading and/or send an email your way. Did you teach yourself to play? Now I have more questions..... :) Peace!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I taught myself to play my cedar flute, though I did buy that book of music and bought "Changes," one of Carlos Nakai's albums of flute music. Sure, send an email when you have time, and feel free to ask your questions. I did actually move here, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete