Thursday, October 2, 2014

Reflections caused by "The Journey" by Mary Oliver

Cumberland Trail, from Retro-Hughes Trailhead, October 1, 2014

Cumberland Trail, from Retro-Hughes Trailhead, October 1, 2014

Cumberland Trail, from Retro-Hughes Trailhead, October 1, 2014

Today a friend shared a poem with me.  A poem I have been introduced to previously during my 2 year Academy.  Just seeing the name on the poem, "Mary Oliver" brought a deep sigh of coming home that I cannot explain.  Then I looked at the title, "The Journey".   Ah... a deeper sense of settling in.  Then I began to read the poem and it struck deep into the core of my being.

In the midst of requirements, daily living, family situations and issues, etc., sometimes the voice gets drowned out.  Sometimes the chaos swirling around seems too much.  I attempt to be still and listen in the chaos.  I attempt to create time and space for God even more during the times of chaos by getting into nature, just sitting still, writing, reading, or some other way of communication with the Creator God.

Yet, even so, there are still times when I struggle to remember my calling, my way, my path that God has called me to.  And even when I remember and know without a doubt the way, it is difficult to imagine living into it when the way isn't clearly cut at this time.  But I am reminded that God can make a way when there seems to be no way.  I am reminded that I can trust the Voice that called me and that guides me.

Yesterday there was a picture of mountains on the Contemplative Photography by Diane Walker Facebook page with this quote:

There is a way,
a path carved in to the cleft between these mountains.
Whenever things begin to loom like this,
you'll simply have to trust.
There is a way, a path for you to take,
a hand to guide you through:
but first you'll have to ask...

I shared the picture and quote to my page, adding my reflection: "The way isn't always clear. The path gets difficult. Ask. Trust. Allow the guidance of the Guide."

Here is Mary Oliver's poem, "The Journey": 

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice – – -
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
‘Mend my life!’
each voice cried.
But you didn’t stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations – – -
though their melancholy
was terrible. It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice,
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do – – – determined to save
the only life you could save.

I would encourage you to read the poem through a couple of times slowly.  What word, words, or phrases stand out to you?  Reflect on those things.  It might also be good to think about what are you learning about yourself on the journey. 

When was "the one day I knew what I had to do" and began?  One of the significant markers for me was the 5 Day TN Academy in 2010.  There were several things that happened during that week that clarified to me what I was to do.  There were also some seeds planted.   The big first step that came from that week was my re-application to seminary for the M.Div.  I also learned about the bilingual 2 Year Academy that week and made some connections that allowed me to teach Lay Servant classes on beadisciple.com.  Several ongoing relationships stem from that week too.  

The journey over the past 4 years has taken me deeper.  Deeper into knowing myself.  Deeper into my relationship with God.

I still have quite a bit of learning and growing to do.  I have many more questions than answers and my life doesn't always reflect the love and light of Christ.

Yet, I remain on the journey.  And, for me, that's the most important part. 

What is it that you know you are to do?  May you be graced with boldness and courage to begin!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment