Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Walking the path.... my labyrinth experiences

A while back I was asked to reflect on my personal labyrinth experiences.  I haven't had lots of writing time these days and that had been put on the back burner, as the expression goes.  Today, I noticed a book called Walking the Labyrinth by Travis Scholl [published by Intervarsity Press (IVP)].  In sharing that book on my Facebook page, I was once again reminded that I had promised to reflect upon and share my labyrinth experiences. 

I have been fortunate to walk several labyrinths over the past several years.  There is an outdoor labyrinth at the Bright School that is open to the public.  It isn't too far away.  That is the first labyrinth I walked.

We have one on the property of the church where we worship, Burks UMC, and I have been able to walk it prior to services, at special services, as part of classes, and at times when I've just wanted and/or needed time and space to listen to God.

We made one out of hoses for a retreat once at Camp Dixie. 

I walked the labyrinth at the Fruitland Park LEC several times during my 2 year Academy time there between 2011 and 2013. 

I have also walked the labyrinths at Lake Junaluska, NC (cut into the grass), St. Mary's, Sewanee (brick inlay), and Asbury Theological Seminary (small concrete in a patio).  The one different labyrinth that I did was one that the youth set up indoors with stations around it.  It was neat because it had reflective questions, thoughts, and activities at the various stations along the way.  Though a different labyrinth prayer experience, it provided time and space for me to listen to God.

Why do I walk the labyrinth?  Because it allows me to focus on my conversation with God (prayer).  In walking the path, I am able to slow down, to listen, to talk.  Though walking, I am walking contemplatively, prayerfully.  Each labyrinth is different, due to how it is made, its terrain, where it is located, etc.

Outdoor labyrinths that are mowed may have bare spots, grassy spots, muddy spots, etc.  Concrete labyrinths may have rocks, sticks, leaves, acorns, or who knows what else on them.  At Lake Junaluska, one thing you watch out for as you walk is the geese deposit along the path.  All of these things are reminders to me that the labyrinth path is much like the path of life.  There are twists and turns along the way, there are differing landscapes, things to watch out for, and yes, even poop on the path.  But, that's not the ultimate focus of the path.  The path is a tool to allow me to focus on my relationship with God, to listen more intentionally as I meander the pathway.

I have entered the labyrinth most often with burdens on my heart and mind.  Most recently, I walked the labyrinth with memories and thoughts of my friend Leila with the Wednesday Bible Study group.

Regardless of what has been on my heart, mind, and soul as I have entered the path, my experience has been that I leave the labyrinth in a state of much deeper peace and solace.  The time to wander along the path, the opportunity to talk with God and to listen, the time and space to simply "be" (even while still moving), the time to breathe in and out more deeply and intentionally.  All of this must somehow be part of why I feel more at peace when I step back out of the labyrinth. 

It's like walking along the beach or hiking along a trail with a good friend.  You aren't saying anything to another out loud, but you're together.  That togetherness transcends anything that words could ever say and settles deep within.  That's what walking the labyrinth does for me.  

Peace.  There is always peace.  There have been times of resolution.  There has been joy.  There have been answers.  There have been tears.  There has been anger.  The labyrinth is a path of prayer, therefore it is a way of deepening my relationship with the One who created me, the Creator. 

How do I pray the labyrinth?  It depends on what is on my heart, mind, and soul at the time.   If I am seeking answers or heavy with a burden, I will most likely spend time on the walk in lifting that concern or thought up.  When I get to the center, I stay as long as I feel I need to in order to make sure that I can leave what I have brought with me there.  On the way out, I try to offer thoughts and prayers of gratitude and thanksgiving about the things that were on my mind and whatever else comes to mind. 

I have heard about using the labyrinth for celebrations, for Eucharist (communion), and other things.  That sounds wonderful.  I hope to have those experiences one day too.

The bottom line is that the labyrinth path is a path of prayer for me, a path of talking with and listening to God.  It centers me, it deepens the peace within me.

It is different than walking or hiking in that the walking is slower, more intentional.  I have not been on an intentional, contemplative hike yet, but I imagine that might be similar to walking a labyrinth path on the intentional level.  Yet, I think there is something unique to going into the center and coming back out that is different about the labyrinth that one doesn't get on other types of prayer walks.  But that doesn't come from any kind of research, just my brain (which is slightly over used and mush right now from studies.)

So, that's my experience(s) with walking the labyrinth path.  What is/are yours?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

PS-- I have included pictures of the labyrinths I mentioned, one blogpost in which I wrote briefly about labyrinths, and a few additional resources about labyrinths.  There are abundant resources in books, on the internet, etc. 

Burks UMC

Life Enrichment Center, Fruitland Park, FL

Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY

Bright School, Chattanooga, TN

Hand-made out of 6 hoses for a retreat at Camp Dixie, Lakesite, TN
Lake Junaluska, NC
St. Mary's Sewanee, TN (not one of my pictures) 

Additional resources:

Rabbi Rami Shapiro talking about labyrinths and the one at St. Mary's Sewanee specifically

Journey Toward Abundant Living (May 19, 2013) [one of my posts]

Bonnie Jacobs has written about several Chattanooga labyrinths:

Labyrinths (October 20, 2012)

Another Labyrinth (October 24, 2012)

1 comment: