Sunday, December 20, 2015

Believe! Sermon from the 4th Sunday in Advent, Flintstone UMC

December is half way gone. I haven't posted any blogs in a while because my focus has been on weekly sermon writing.  In the past, I would post my sermons, but since I started my Provisional Elder journey, I haven't done so.  Mainly because of time constraints.  Each week I read, research, and write a sermon and then preach it at one or two of the three appointed churches.  Then, the process begins again.  I just haven't squeezed in any time to post the sermons or write about any of the other things going on in life... such as the Advent Word/Photo Journey with AliveNow that I'm participating in (along with many others).  That has been a refreshing way to walk and pray this Advent season.

These past two weeks I've felt that I would squeeze in some time to post a sermon or two.... and maybe some other things.  We'll see.

The sermons written are not what comes out during the service.  Things get re-ordered, added, omitted, and otherwise edited.  However, what you will see here is the basic premise of what was shared. 

One edit for example is that today, I added a story that was shared during our prayer time that fit well into listening to God's nudges and whisperings and following through. 

May there be something in the words and message for you today. 

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



"Believe!"
December 20, 2015 (4th Sunday of Advent)
Luke 1:39-45 (NRSV)
Flintstone UMC

Luke 1:39-45 (NRSV)
39 In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a Judean town in the hill country, 40 where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit 42 and exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. 43 And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? 44 For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the child in my womb leaped for joy. 45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.”

THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD.
THANKS BE TO GOD.                                                                          
----------------------------------------------------

Today is the fourth Sunday of Advent.  Slowly but surely we are making our way through the Advent season toward the celebration of the birth of Christ.  Our Advent Wreath is getting brighter each week as we add to the light.  

"The gift of a believing community can make all the difference in the form our challenging waiting seasons take." (Enuma Okoro, 67)

"A community helps us discern how God calls us and speaks into our lives, keeping us accountable to spiritual integrity and affirming or challenging our discernment as necessary.  It is important to have people with whom we can prayerfully share our spiritual journeys and who can help us name the new realities that God might be birthing in our lives.  A community can support us as we name these new realities and learn to live into our expanding or changing sense of identity as flourishing children of God." (83-84)

BELIEVE!
  • God's promises
  • God's blessings
  • God's mysteries (including God's child)

God's Promises-- One of God's greatest promises is "I am with you."  Throughout the Old Testament, to the leaders and the prophets and into the New Testament with Mary and Joseph, God promises: "I am with you."  God, the great I AM, becomes God with us, Emmanuel. 

Just a few examples:
  • Genesis 26:24-- God speaks to Isaac: "And that very night the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you and make your offspring numerous for my servant Abraham’s sake.”
  • Genesis 28:15--God speaks to Jacob: 15 Know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” 
  • Isaiah 41:10-- God assures Israel: "do not fear, for I am with you,
        do not be afraid, for I am your God;
    I will strengthen you, I will help you,
        I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."

One example of Jesus speaking this:
  • Matthew 28:20-- Jesus speaks to the disciples after his resurrection on how they are to live out their calling: 20 and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

God's Blessings-- There are many ways to consider God's blessings.  [The backstory to today's passage.... Elizabeth is with child... a miracle and blessing in itself. (Luke 1:5-20)] In today's passage, God blessed Elizabeth, who in turn blessed Mary.  Elizabeth wondered why she had been blessed.  Mary came to visit Elizabeth and it was in that visit that Elizabeth recognized a second blessing, that of Mary carrying the Lord (verses 42-43). Elizabeth and Mary were able to walk a journey together and encourage one another.

God's Mysteries-- God chooses to bring about mystery with human help.  Have you thought about that?  We may not be able to answer all the questions surrounding mystery, but in the midst of the mystery, God chooses to use humans.  He used Mary and Joseph to bring one of the greatest mysteries into the world, the divine Christ child.

Romans 16:25-27-- 25 Now to God who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages 26 but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— 27 to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever! Amen.

Colossians 1:27-- 27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 2:2--I want their hearts to be encouraged and united in love, so that they may have all the riches of assured understanding and have the knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ himself,

As we look to see how God delivers his promises, blessings, and reveals his mysteries (when they are revealed), it is most often in community. COMMUNITY!  We are called to be in community.  To live out this faith journey together, to walk together, just as Elizabeth and Mary and many others.  We can offer encouragement, support, prayer, assistance as we live out our faith together.  In doing this, we help one another discern the invitations that God offers us to join in where God is working.

Where have you felt God inviting you to join in?  How have you experienced God's whisperings in your life to be a part of something bigger?

Just this past week, one invitation to join in something that God is doing was the YMCA Backpack Blessings.  I want to thank you for saying "yes" to this invitation.  We had 7 Flintstone folks, 1 Simpson person and one other person there to fill royal blue backpacks for 400 kids so that they would have food for the Christmas break.  It's quite an operation.  It's a time of community coming together for a greater need.

Sometimes those nudges or whispers from God seem to take us a little longer to answer, do they not?  I am guilty of hesitating in my "yes" to God at times.  It's not that I want to say "no" to God, but sometimes I'm questioning: 'Is this really you God?' or 'Do you really think I can do this God?' or just plain: 'What?!?!?'

Even in the hesitancy to say "yes" to God, can we consider that God's promise "I am with you" is for you and me, that God's blessing of encouragement in community awaits us, and that God's mysteries are waiting to be unfolded through Christ in our lives?

As you and I continue to ponder these things this last week of Advent, may we like, Elizabeth, have reason to have that joy leap within us and may we be able to passionately exclaim belief as did Elizabeth.

It is moving into belief that draws us closer to the growing light of Christ.  It is what we are called to do and be as disciples of Christ, as Christ followers.  In my reading this week, I read this: "Being a disciple is moving from unbelief to belief in every part of your life." (BiVo: A Modern Day Guide for Bi-Vocational Saints, Hugh Halter, 33-34)  Think about that for just a moment.  We are to move from unbelief to belief in EVERY part of our life.  That's a big area.  I don't know about you, but I know God still has work to do in my life as a disciple.  I still have room to grow as a disciple.  It's an ongoing journey.  It's about saying "yes" to God over and over again, in trust and stepping out in faith and obedience.  It's about recognizing that Emmanuel, God with us, is in our midst and something inside us leaps for joy.

Listen once again to Elizabeth's proclamation over Mary for Mary's belief, but hear these words as if they were being spoken to you.....  Therefore there will be space where the pronouns "she" and "her" are in the verse for you to insert your name.  This morning, if you are ready to take the step of bold belief, faith, and trust and obedience and follow God's leading, hear these words: "And blessed is ______ who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to _______ by the Lord."

May it be so.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment