Sunday, December 27, 2015

Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley.... a delightful read!



Many of you know that I have been UNASHAMEDLY pushing (advertising) the book Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley since it was first announced. As the author and book make their way to various book signings, I continue to post on Facebook too.

The reason for the huge interest on my part is that Cassie Beasley is my first cousin.  I am so proud of her.

But, it's time for me to confess that with life's busyness, I hadn't been able to read the incredible book that I have been pushing others to read.  Until yesterday.

I read as much as I could yesterday, but didn't get to finish it.  However, I did get to finish it today.  Being torn away from the book in order to get a good night's sleep last night for today's work wasn't easy. 

I am not an official book reviewer and there probably isn't much that I can add to the great reviews that are already out there.  Besides, I am a biased relative. However, I will say that I was drawn in to the story line.  I felt that I was able to get to know the characters.  Several times throughout the book I paused and reread a line or two to reflect more deeply on what I had just read.  There are several great quotable nuggets in the book.  The last line of the book is one of them--"You never need an invitation to go home.".  Just one of those 'cause for a pause' statements.  Like I said, there are others.

But, I wouldn't want to take the fun of reading away from you.  Plus, what I found to be a nugget or a 'cause for a pause' may be different for you. 

One more thing to address, most reviews and even the book jacket note that it's for middle school aged students, ages 9-12.  Well, yeah, sure.  But it's really a book for kids of all ages, 0-99+.  Having said that, I'm a kid at heart, and maybe that's why I can say that it's a book for kids of all ages. I refer to myself as a 'Toys 'r Us' kid.  If you really need an excuse to read the book, then find someone in school to read it with or to and that way you're reading it to help them with their reading.  But, that's not really necessary.  It is truly a delightful read for all.

Cassie, I'm so very proud of you.  You have persevered through the difficulties of writing and publishing and you came out with such a wonderful book!  I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Now to check out the book on tape with Bronson Pinchot reading it......  and to await the forthcoming movie!

I believe!

Debra

Websites:

Official Circus Mirandus Website
Who Is a Book For Anyway?  by Cassie Beasley (Nerdy Book Club, author post)
New York Best Sellers list December 20 
Quotes from Circus Mirandus (Good Reads)


No comments:

Post a Comment