Thursday, October 20, 2016

Grace, grace, God's grace

Grace.

It's not just a word for me, nor just a concept, nor just a theological term. It is something that has given me life.  Literally.

If you've read my blog for a while, I hope you've seen the word "grace".  If not, do a word search for "grace" in my blog and it will hopefully show up.  [I looked, it comes up 23 times.  Don't worry, I won't post all the links.] The point is: God's grace is what has given me life.

Grace is on my mind today because it came up in last night's Bible Study.  And, because grace came up, somehow, in the moment, I felt led to share how grace has been a lifeline for me and how grace has led me to where I am today.

I shared a part of my story that I have shared in the Emmaus community (from the Prodigal talks as laity to Grace talks as clergy) and in all my paperwork for the journey of Candidacy and Provisional Elder in the United Methodist Church.  It's not something I go about sharing from the rooftops, but I am open to sharing as the Holy Spirit guides.

Last night when the topic of grace came about as we talked about God forgiving and us forgiving others, it just came out.

I knew about grace, but I had never really experienced it like I did when I really needed it.  I had had situations in my life before where grace had been applied, but until the year 2000 when I found myself single and pregnant, I hadn't truly lived into the meaning of grace.

As a Christian, teaching at a Christian college, I knew God's love.  I shared God's love.  I had been through a divorce.  In that relationship, I said I would never do to anyone else what was done to me. That word "never" got me.  It got me when I said, "I would never teach"-- I taught for 24 years.  I also said that I would never move back into my parents' home like my other siblings.  I did that too, when my house sold and I had a two month old child, with no where else to go.  We lived there while house hunting.  The result of all these "nevers"?  I don't use that word.  At least I try not to. In God's grace, teaching was one of the best things that I got into.  As for the others, there were wonderful blessings that have come from them too.

God's grace has taken me from captivity into freedom.  I have learned to live into my true self. I have learned to accept myself and others.  I am much more giving and forgiving these days because I have accepted and experienced grace.

It took me the longest time in my life to accept and receive.  Much like giving and doing for others is so much more easy, accepting grace, a free gift with no strings attached is odd, counter-intuitive.  Yet, God offers it out of love.

God's gift of grace allows me, allows you to live into the freedom of becoming who we are meant to be when God created us.  That is powerful.

When we talk about grace in the Wesleyan world (and other theological worlds), we talk about prevenient, justifying, and sanctifying grace.

Prevenient grace is the grace that was around before we knew about it.  It came before.  In retrospect, I have recognized that it guided me through all kinds of stuff.  For that, I am truly grateful.

Justifying grace is the grace that got us into a right relationship with God.  In parades or in military terms, when you "justify" something, you line up right.

Sanctifying grace is the ongoing grace throughout one's life that keeps working in and through all situations, helping one to grow in the image of Christ.

There are more explanations out there in books, on the web, etc.  This is my simplified version in the moment.

Going back to what I shared last night.  I shared that because of God's grace, I am alive today. Because of God's grace, Charlie is alive today.  Because of God's grace, I am forgiven and have a relationship with my husband's first wife.  

I don't remember the exact words I shared.  But my focus was on God's grace.  God's grace has been a redeeming and wonderful freedom factor in my life, helping me grow into who and whose I am.

I'm still in process.  I'm still learning to be my true self.

It's all about God and it's all about grace.

But I still mess up.  I get caught up in life.  I make mistakes.  I do wrong.  I sin.  I fall short.

Then, there's grace.

I hope that I will always extend grace to others.  I hope that I will always be able to accept the grace extended to me by God and others.

It is life giving.

Several weeks back, a friend sent me a song.  I heard it this morning.  It is by Hawk Nelson and about being who we are created to be, "Live Like You're Loved".

Here are the lyrics:
You're not the only one who feels like this
Feelin' like you lose more than you win
Like life is just an endless hill you climb
You try and try, but never arrive

I'm tellin' you somethin'
This racing, this running
Oh, you're working way too hard!
And this perfection you're chasing
Is just energy wasted
'cause He loves you like you are!
So go ahead and live like you're loved
It's ok to act like you've been set free
His love has made you more than enough
So go ahead and be who he made you to be

And live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Live like you're loved

And live like you're know you're valuable
Like you know the one that hold your soul
'Cause mercy has called you by your name
Don't be afraid to live in that grace

I'm tellin' you somethin'
This God we believe in
Yeah, he changed everything
No more guilt! No more shame!
He took all that away
Gave us a reason to sing

So go ahead and live like you're loved
It's ok to act like you've been set free
His love has made you more than enough
So go ahead and be who he made you to be

And live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Live like you're loved

Live like you're loved, walk like you're free
Stand like you know who he made you to be
Live like you're loved, like you believe
His love is all that you'll ever need

So go ahead and live like you're loved
His love has made you more than enough

So go ahead and live like you're loved
It's ok to act like you've been set free
His love has made you more than enough
So go ahead and be who he made you to be

And live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Live like you're loved
Live like you're loved

Live like you're loved, walk like you're free
Stand like you know who he made you to be
Live like you're loved, like you believe
His love is all that you'll ever need
Live like you're loved





Another song that was stuck in my head as I woke up today is the hymn with the words: "grace, grace, God's grace".  I had to search to find that one and the rest of the lyrics.  The song is "Grace Greater Than Our Sin" by Julia Johnston.  It was published in 1910 and based on Romans 5:20-21.  It is #365 in the United Methodist Hymnal.  From hymnary.org, it is found in 114 hymnals.

Here are the lyrics:


  1. Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
    Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
    Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,
    There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.
    • Refrain:
      Grace, grace, God’s grace,
      Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
      Grace, grace, God’s grace,
      Grace that is greater than all our sin!
  2. Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
    Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
    Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
    Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
  3. Dark is the stain that we cannot hide;
    What can we do to wash it away?
    Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
    Brighter than snow you may be today.
  4. Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
    Freely bestowed on all who believe!
    You that are longing to see His face,
    Will you this moment His grace receive?



Why am I sharing today?  Because maybe someone needed to hear about God's grace. Twice this past week I have heard promptings and reminders to share our stories with others because we never know what someone might need. The most recent reminder was a quote I read this morning prior to attending a retreat:  "We need people in our lives with whom we can be as open as possible. To have real conversations with people may seem like such a simple, obvious suggestion, but it involves courage and risk." —Thomas Moore (posted by The SoulCare Project on their Facebook page on October 16, 2016)

Did I go into all the details?  No.  Do you have questions?  If so, contact me.   I told God back in 2000 that every bit of the story was God's to use for the glory of God and the good of the Kingdom.  If you need to hear more of the story, if the Holy Spirit prompts you with questions, then ask.

Meanwhile, I pray that you will know God's grace abundantly in your life, that you will be able to receive it, live into it, and pass it on.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment