Friday, October 7, 2016

Listening to the voice of truth

Today I've spent some time listening.



Not just today, but throughout this past week.  Today, however, I've gone back over what I heard earlier in the week.  I've taken time to be in the hammock, to spend some time in centering prayer, rest, and reflection.

Earlier in the week on Tuesday, I got together with some colleagues.  This week we read some poems together.  One of the poems we read was Mary Oliver's "The Journey".  It's one I have read several times over the years.  Each time I read it, it speaks to me.

Here it is:

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice --
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voice behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do --
determined to save
the only life that you could save.


"The Journey" helps me listen to the inner voice inside, that One voice.  It reminds me of who I am and Whose I am. It can be so easy to lose my way in the myriad of voices.

Then, last night, I heard a song I haven't heard on the radio in a while by Casting Crowns, "Voice of Truth".  It was another encouraging and timely word.

Lyrics:

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand
But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"
But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand
But the giant's calling out my name
And he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"
But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them lookin' down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth
Written by Steven Curtis Chapman, Mark Hall • Copyright © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Capitol Christian Music Group




When I, when any of us start to be confounded by all the other voices, it is imperative to listen to the voice of truth.  Other voices would have us believing incorrect things, but not the voice of truth.

What does it take to hear the voice of truth?  For me, I need time and space.  Quiet time.  Time in the Scriptures to be reminded of who and whose I am (Psalm 139 and others).  Time in silent connection with the Creator.  Time to be still and know that God is God.

Another word of encouragement came from my Meemo's handwritten note in her Companions in Christ, The Way of Prayer, as I opened it up yesterday: "As you travel life's weary road, let Jesus lift your heavy load."


To step out of my comfort zone, to follow my calling, no matter the cost, to continue to be willing to be in the realm of the unknown.  Following Jesus means being often in this realm.  It's a matter of faith and trust in places that don't make sense.  It's a wonderful, adventurous journey, too, especially when I can remember to keep my eyes on the One who is leading me.

Taking, making time to listen to the Voice of truth, remembering that there is an audience of One, and recognizing that this adventurous journey as a follower of the Way leads to many experiences, I continue on.

There have been other encouraging words, songs, and situations this past week that have reminded me of who and whose I am. I am grateful for each of these to help me stay focused.  God's mercy reigns.  There is amazing grace.

How about you?  When you find it difficult to hear the Voice of Truth through the myriad of voices, what do you do?  May you find some time to listen.

Peace and blessings on your journey,

Debra





No comments:

Post a Comment