Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Psalm 126 from Psalms for Praying by Nan Merrill

On Monday morning we had another "Simple Presence" in our Spiritual Direction program, via ZOOM.  This one was a 20 minute sit after hearing Psalm 126 from Nan Merrill's Psalms for Praying.

I haven't been in a group for Centering Prayer since I haven't been with the Friday group at Grace Episcopal and it was good to be in a group again.  Being in a group online is different than being in person in that with everyone on mute, one doesn't hear the breathing of one another.  However, I had neighborhood dogs, my own dog scratching on the door to get in, my own gulping/sips of coffee (yes, I drink coffee during silence) and other noises that I could hear-- even with my headphones on.  That's all a part of silence though.  Silence is never fully silent, on the exterior or the interior.  One learns to let sounds and thoughts go and flow.  It's part of the process.

As I listened to the Psalm reading, there were a couple of words and phrases that caught my attention: 

  • laughter
  • joy
  • gladness
  • restore us to wholeness, O healer
  • shouts of joy

As I sat in the silence, one of the phrases I often use in Centering Prayer came to mind "Peace, be still".  Another thing that came to mind was the song that has the lyrics: "trading my sorrows... for the joy of the Lord".

Here's one version of the song:


Here are the lyrics:

I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

[Chorus:]
And we say yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned
Struck down but not destroyed
I'm blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure
And his joy's gonna be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for Psalm 126.  Here is the Psalm.  As you read over the Psalm, I invite you to read it at least twice.  Read it slowly.  Allow it to read you.  What words or phrases stand out to you?  Hold those in prayer.

I also invite you to set a timer for 5, 10, 15, or even 20 minutes of silence.  Allow some time to listen, to be, to rest in the silence.

If you're not familiar with Centering Prayer, here is a link you can check out for more information from Contemplative Outreach: Centering Prayer.

Psalm 126: (from Psalms for Praying)

Psalm 126

When the Divine Lover enters the 
		human heart,
	all yearnings are fulfilled!
Then will our mouths ring forth 
		with laughter,
	and our tongues with shouts of joy;

Then will we sing our songs of praise 
	to You, O Beloved of all hearts.
For gladness will radiate out for 
		all to see;
	so great is your Presence 
		among us.

Restore us to wholeness, O Healer,
	like newborn babes who have 
		never strayed from You!
May all who sow in tears
	reap with shouts of joy!
May all who go forth weeping tears 
		of repentance, bearing 
		seeds of Love,
Come home to You with shouts 
		of joy,
	leaving sorrow behind.


From Psalms for Praying © 2007 Nan C. Merrill
Reprinted with permission of the publisher
Continuum International Publishing Group
www.PsalmsForPraying.com

If something sparks your attention from the Psalm or the song and you'd like to comment, please do.  I enjoy conversation.

As I close this post and reflect on some of the many things that bring me laughter, joy, and gladness, I decided to share a few of those with you in picture form:





Family-- my son Charlie, our dog Cliff, and my husband Riley.

Water-- the ocean, waterfalls, and lakes (and really any body of water).

Spending time in the hammock.

Hiking.

Bike riding.

Praying a labyrinth.

Coffee.  (No photo.) 

These things, among others, restore me to wholeness.

May there be adventure and joy on your journey!

Rev. Deb 



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Deb, I am the author of "Backpacking with Jesus". I came across your blog the comments about my book. It warmed my heat to read. I have just published a rewrite of the book and updated our life after the hike. The last chapter speaks to the Appalachian Trail Outreach Ministry. Sounds like it is something you might be interested in. The best email to reach me is bjdean52@yahoo.com Here is the link to my new book. https://www.amazon.com/Backpacking-Jesus-Always-Journey-Continues-ebook/dp/B08KNKDMFP/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Backpacking+with+Jesus&qid=1601907145&s=books&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I will check it out. I haven't been on my blog in FOREVER and am just seeing this comment from October today, in March. Some folks have had quiet pandemic time. I have been busier and haven't had writing time, other than sermon and Advent/Lent Photo A Day stuff. :) I look forward to your follow up book.

      Delete