Friday, March 12, 2021

Advent 1 2020

I realize that we are in the season of Lent, but I didn't get my Advent posts posted, so I am going to get that done first.  In fact, today, March 11, is the first day I've even checked my blog since October.  What does that tell you? It tells you that I haven't had the time or space to think about words beyond sermons and newsletters for the faith community I serve.  Well, those plus the encouraging posts I put on FB. 

I will hopefully get the Advent posts up fairly quickly and then I can work on the Lent posts for this season. :) 

Here we go..... Advent 1 2020:

Week 1-- Hope, Wait, Darkness, Preparation, Light, Sign, Ponder


November 29. Today's word is "hope". Today is the first day of Advent. As we begin this Advent season and this new calendar year, what does the word "hope" mean for you? How do you depict hope in a photograph or drawing? If hope seems too far off to reach in the moment, reflect on when you last experienced hope. When was that? How was that? How would you depict that in a photograph or drawing? #hope#adventphoto#saintelmoumc


Today is the beginning of Advent. Today's word is hope. As I reflect on today's word, hope to me is like this candle--- one sole flame offers light. May I be a light, may I be hope. #hope#adventphoto#saintelmoumc


November 30. Today's word is "wait". We touched on the subject in yesterday's sermon as we explored active waiting. What comes to mind as you reflect on today's word? How do you respond to "wait"? How do you depict this word in a photograph or drawing? #wait#adventphoto#saintelmoumc


Today's word is "wait". I went to Blood Assurance to donate today, but my blood, though high in hemoglobin, decided it wasn't going to flow well. We waited in hopeful expectation that the machine and my blood would connect and flow. It wasn't to happen today. I will wait another week. There are many things for which I have been waiting over the past nine months. I am waiting to see the flock again. I am waiting to see my family. In today's waiting, I had a wonderful conversation with a worker at Blood Assurance. It encouraged me to chat with her. In the waiting, we can engage. We can be kind. We can live and love well. Advent is a season of waiting. While I wait in any situation, may I continue to live, love, and lead like Jesus. #wait #adventphoto #saintelmoumc
 

December 1. Today's word is "darkness". What does darkness mean to you? How have you experienced darkness? As you reflect on this word, how do you express it in a photograph or drawing? #darkness#adventphoto#saintelmoumc


Today's word is "darkness". Darkness is part of the journey. There is healing and transformation through the darkness. This circle of friends reminds me that when I go through dark times, I am not alone. There is support. Even a small light in the midst of darkness can brighten the space. #darkness #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 2. Today's word is "preparation". What preparations are you making this Advent season? Do these preparations prepare you for the coming of the Christ child? (If so, how?) Do you have a favorite preparation that you look forward to year after year? What comes to mind for you as you reflect on today's word? How do you share that with others in a photo or drawing? #preparation #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is "preparation". Every week, twice a week, you can find boxes lined up like this in the gym in preparation for the next food distribution day. It is encouraging and heartwarming to see how the team of volunteers has worked to get food out safely and creatively during the pandemic. As we make intentional preparations for the safety of ourselves and others, may we make intentional preparations this Advent season for the presence of Christ among us. #preparation #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 3. Today's word is "light". As you reflect on today's word, what comes to mind? How does light fit into your Advent celebration? Share your thoughts on light and your photography or drawing. #light #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is "light". Last week on the way home from an outing, the moon's light was bright. As the day turned to night, its light shone through the darkness. The light was captivating, holding my attention as it guided me home. This Advent season I am encouraged by light that shines in the darkness, offering guidance and hope. I see it in many forms and in many people. I am grateful. #light #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 4. Today's word is "sign". The Advent season is a time to watch for signs. Is there a sign you are hoping for or waiting for? Is there a sign you see daily that catches your attention? What comes to mind for you as you reflect on today's word? Share your reflections, along with a photo or drawing. #sign #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is "sign". I ventured outside this morning briefly and saw these shoots coming up. A sign of new life and growth. This sign reminds me that life happens underneath the surface, in the dark. One day, that it will push through. Growth is happening the entire time. There are simply different stages. It was, it is, it will be. We all need reminders, encouragement, hope. This sign of life was that for me today. #sign #adventphoto #saintelmoumc



December 5. Today's word is "ponder". What are the things on your mind these days? What causes you to ponder? As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? Post your thoughts and any photo or drawing. #ponder #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is ponder. In our walk today I pondered many things. As I seek to live my life for an Audience of One, I recognize that I will always be darned if I do and darned if I don't. Time in creation wandering and pondering refills me. I ponder the time singing with family members and their father just a few days ago, as that was a gift to me. These two photos show the largest grapevines I have ever seen. We looked them over for a while. I pondered whether or not the large one could hold me. It did. Pondering can lead to creativity and freedom. May these days of Advent allow time for pondering. #ponder #adventphoto #saintelmoumc

That does it for Advent, week 1 2020.  Week 2 will be forthcoming.

Peace on this adventurous journey, 

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment