Monday, November 29, 2021

Advent and a time of lament-- words of wisdom from Carol Collier

I read these words below written by Carol Collier on her Facebook page. I've been following her for a while and finally got to meet her in person at a community clean-up day.  Carol has a deep love for God and others. The depth of that love comes through her writing. I asked permission to share these two posts in my blog because they resonated deep within me as we begin this Advent season. I don't know what will resonate within you. But I share Carol's writings here for reflection. Thank you, Carol, for allowing the Holy to shine through the depths of the sorrow and grief and for reminding us to be with ourselves in this part of the journey.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Written by Carol Collier:

"I went, last night, to a Service of Lament.

It was quiet and still, and as we entered into that prepared space we picked up a stone to hold in our hands throughout the service.
The stone became the tactile reminder that we, and the world, are burdened.
The music was beautiful and mournful. Gorgeous voices accompanied by guitar and violin and piano.
At a certain point in the service we participated in a litany of named sorrows and griefs.
As each one was named, I felt a sob ~ no, no, I felt a wail ~ consume my body, as tears ran down my face.
I let them flow and fall to my chest.
~There is this billboard around town that says boldly “Save America, read the Patriot Post.”
I cannot identify exactly what it is I feel when I see that billboard. I can only know that something in my body registers revulsion.~
We have now entered the season of Advent. No, it’s not the “hap-happiest time of the year.”
It is the time when we remember the first coming of the Savior of the World.
We look back and remember his first coming and we look forward to his second Advent~ the time when he will come again.
As I let myself be immersed in the realities of a disordered and traumatized humanity in a broken, fractured world, and as I wail for all that we have done to ourselves and all that has been done to us, Advent reminds me that there is only one who can save us.
Anything other than Jesus is a lie, folks (and I’m not so sure his main thing is to save America. In fact I’m pretty sure America is not the reason he died on the cross.)
Weep, wail, rend your clothes for we are in desperate need of a Savior.
He has come, and he will come again, and all will be made right and all will be well.
In the in-between time, the now and not yet time, may we keep our eyes on the true Savior of the World.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"

"Part 2 ~ Advent
It is often in the depths of lament that God will show us how to live out the story of redemption here on this earth ~ how we can seek justice and love mercy, how we can care for the least, the lost and the littlest.
The problem may be that we won’t allow our hearts to be broken which can make us susceptible to false gospels that claim power over the humility of Christ.
Just sayin’"

~Carol Collier
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This second post caused me to reflect and I posted this as a comment: "Lament and brokenness are powerful places to allow growth. To rest there, to be in it, to not rush through it-- to learn."

As we begin the Advent Season, where do you find yourself this year? This liminal space of now and not yet always causes me reflection. It seems even more poignant this year. The ground of my soul/soil is being prepared for what is to come. (A phrase I picked up from a Hearts on Fire retreat several years ago.)

I will be spending time this Advent season waiting, watching, listening. As I look for the coming of the Christ Child, I am open to the Christ within me to speak to me, to guide me, to teach me, to bring healing.  Emmanuel, God with us, can handle all the sorrow and grief of the world.

I am grateful for the reminder from Carol in her Part 2 Advent post: "It is often in the depths of lament that God will show us how to live out the story of redemption here on this earth ~ how we can seek justice and love mercy, how we can care for the least, the lost and the littlest.
The problem may be that we won’t allow our hearts to be broken which can make us susceptible to false gospels that claim power over the humility of Christ."

May my heart be broken with that which reveals the light of Christ.

Hope, peace, joy, and love this Advent!

Rev. Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment