Saturday, June 25, 2022

Psalm 108

With coffee #2, I sat back down outside with Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness by Nan C. Merrill.


I wanted to find a Psalm that mentioned clouds implicitly or explicitly because of the cloudy morning. (Note: this version doesn't contain the English word "clouds". Here is a different version, the Contemporary English Version, of verse 4 that began this post: "Your love reaches higher than the heavens, and your loyalty extends beyond the clouds.")


A Google search offered Psalm 108 as an option.  As I read through the Psalm slowly and deliberately (lectio divina), I found the words meaningful and appropriate. 

Here is Psalm 108. Read it through slowly. What captures your attention? Read it through again. Allow some silence to see what bubbles up from the reading. Give thanks to Creator God for the time together and any insight.

My heart is united with
      Your Heart, O Beloved!
I sing, and I will sing praises!
      My soul is awakened:
O joy, O gratitude!
      I arise to the new dawn!
I give thanks to You, Beloved,
                   among the peoples, 
      I sing praises to You among
                    the nations.
For your steadfast Love is great
                    through all the world, 
       your faithfulness remains
                    for all eternity. 
Be exalted, O Radiant One, throughout
                    the universe!
       Let your Glory extend to the 
                     ends of the earth!
That your friends may be set free
                    from fear,
       Come to our aid, waken us all!
For You have been our Promise for
                    all generations:
        "Come to Me when your hearts 
                     are heavy,,
          and I will give you rest.
For as I am in you, so do you 
                     live in Me;
          we are One in the Spirit of Love.
Be my messengers of peace;
          be bearers of mercy and justice;
          let Love triumph over fear."

Who will answer the Invitation of Love?
          Who will lead others into 
                    the new dawn?
Stay Awake, O my soul, to
                    the Beloved within;
           O, that I might shine as a light
                     in the world!
Released from the darkness within,
            I extend your Peace
                                out to the world;
            for You are my Peace and
                      my Light!
With You I can do all things;
            into your Heart I commend
                      my soul always.

(pages 221-222)

As I reflect on these words this morning,  here is what captures my attention and sticks with me:
  • a united heart with God, the Beloved
  • an awakened soul
  • God's steadfast Love and faithfulnes
  • Be my messengers of peace;
              be bearers of mercy and justice;
 I am challenged by these questions:

Who will answer the Invitation of Love?
          Who will lead others into 
                    the new dawn?

As I sit with this Psalm this morning, I find hope and encouragement from the One who knows me best.

I invite you to share any thoughts from your reflection time with Psalm 108 in the comments below. 

The journey continues to be an adventure!

Rev. Deb

3 comments:

  1. I like the "cloud" version you found: "Your love reaches higher than the heavens, and your loyalty extends beyond the clouds." Thanks for sharing it. I, too, have a cloudy morning with a bit of blue sky mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I missed something, thinking that my name would show up because I'm signed in to my Blogger account. That comment is from Bonnie, your friend in St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bonnie! Thanks for letting me know it was you! :) Cloudy with a bit of blue sky is nice. Good to hear from you!

      Delete