Wednesday, July 27, 2022

A reflection on paths, spurred by quotes and memories

 This quote that I wrote 8 years ago showed up in my memories a few days back:

"When faced with an overgrown path between yourself and a destination, look closely for the hidden worn path of travelers gone before and follow their steps. If no such step or opening exists, it may be time to forge the path for others. ~d" [July 25, 2014]

I wrote these words based on what I saw on the property of Christ the King Retreat Center in Buffalo, MN that year. The overgrown path had captured my attention. These words continue to ring true for me. I have followed the path of many who have led the way and I have forged paths at times.

As I reflect on this quote and some of the paths I have forged, I recognize that Bamboo Encounter is one such path that I have both followed others and forged. I followed leaders and learned from them and then forged a path that was given to me in my setting.

I am grateful for all those in the Wild Church Network that taught me and continue to teach me about Wild Churches. I am grateful for the Holy Spirit that put the idea within me and allowed it to become a reality. I have written about how Bamboo Encounter a couple of times:

Bamboo Encounter-- a nudge is becoming a reality (February 7, 2019)

Bamboo Encounter's first outdoor service-- May 25 (May 25, 2019)

There are a few more blog posts about Bamboo Encounter, but mostly you can learn about it from the link above that takes you to its Facebook page.

This week Bamboo Encounter was the "feature" wild church and that was cool.  Here is that postWild Church Network FB page.

Another recent memory reminds me that many people who have walked the path have been there for me and now I walk that path with and for others.

A sign that says "Charlie's Garden" at the Cenacle in Houston, TX captured my attention. 

Here is what I wrote about that sign just this week on July 27:

"This sign. This memory. Forever a marker in my journey of Creator God's grace, compassion, and love. Unexpected, sent-me-to-my-knees attention getter, reminding me that I can breathe in and out, that I can trust the One who created Charlie." #grateful

From the memory that came up in 2020 on the same day, I had written: "Charlie's Garden. A sign at the Cenacle Center in Houston, Texas in 2016. It made my heart smile. I haven't often received literal signs of assurance, but that one summer when I needed it the most, it was there. During a retreat on compassion. Oh how that sign sent me to my knees that moment, yet how Creator God spoke words of hope, peace, comfort, and encouragement through it. Grateful for the love and guidance of the One who knows me best, the One who created me, the One who created Charlie."

I've written a blog post about that sign and names. You can find it here: Thoughts about names.

We are all in community, connected, working together, as Ram Dass says, 'to walk each other home.'

I am grateful for those who have gone before me and for those who accompany me along the many adventures.

The adventurous journey continues!

Rev. Deb

2 comments:

  1. Sending hugs and compassion to you and Charlie. ~~~ Bonnie Jacobs

    ReplyDelete