Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pottery... and the potter.

I have a thing for pottery.  I admit it.  I like going to pottery shops, seeing potters at work, seeing their work displayed.  I enjoy buying pottery.  I have a flower vase, some candle sticks, an oil lamp, and about a handful of hand-thrown mugs.  My favorite pieces of pottery?  The two chalices and the patten plate. 

Why are these pieces my favorites?  Because I personally know the hands that made these pieces.  They were made by my friend Dawn, for my wedding.  These pieces were used by my spouse and I as we served our friends and family the shared meal of wine (juice) and bread.   These pieces are special because of the hands that made them and because of what they are and how they were created to be used.  The chalices make wonderful wine glasses as well.
                     

I have also met the potter for some of my other pieces that I own, Pitter the Potter.  Though I have only spoken with him in visits to his shop, I feel that I have gotten to know him a little bit. 

All pottery shows the mark of the potter's hand.  The potter leaves his/her mark through a signature, a signature glaze, or an image on the piece of pottery.  A trained eye (not mine) can know a potter by the pottery.

There are those who know much more about these things than I.  For me, it's just an adoration of beauty that draws me near.  As well as a glimpse into who the potter is by seeing an example of his/her work.

My friend Dawn named her pottery shop "Adamah".  Learn more about it here: http://web.mac.com/daraburn/Adamahpottery.com/dawn_raburn.html

Pitter the Potter can be found in Maggie Valley, NC:  5858 Soco Rd, Maggie Valley, NC 28751,  828-926-7676  828-926-7676 .

So, is there a point to all this talk about pottery and potters?   Yes.   There is.  In fact, there are probably several points. 

First, the potter leaves his/her mark on the pottery, the creation.  Each piece is uniquely made.  Second, knowing the potter brings relationship into the scene and therefore adds a personal element of meaning.

We're still talking about pottery and potters, right?!?!  Well, sort of. 

Here is a verse that compares God to being the potter and us to being the clay.

Isaiah 64:8 (NIV)--"Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Great analogy.  God molds us and puts his mark on us.  We are uniquely made for a purpose.  We can have relationship with the potter.  The clay in relationship with the potter.  For me, the potter has to take this lumpy thing of clay and shape and reshape quite a bit.  Then, there are times when I know there are cracks in my personal pottery, but the potter doesn't seem too disturbed.  These, too, are somehow used for growth and good along the journey.

Thanks for joining me in thinking about pottery today.  Have you been inspired to go find a master potter at work and watch?  Or, browse a collection of the finished product?  Stay within your budget (don't blame me if you get carried away....).

Thank you to my friend Dawn for using her gifts and talents and sharing them with the world!  And to Pitter the Potter, you are a joy to know!  Blessings on each of you and your creative adventures!

And, to all that are journeying..... may our clay continue to be moist enough to be molded by the Potter's hands.


~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Hi wondering if Pitter the Potter is still open, couldn't find his website anywhere thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been up that way in a couple of years, since 2010. He was open then. ☺ His phone number and address is in the blog post. You could try calling him. Good luck!

      Delete