Saturday, November 20, 2010

Taking a leap of faith.

When I worked as a camp counselor, one of my jobs was working the Ropes Course.  That was FUN!  (I loved archery as well, but there was just something about being in those trees.) 

My last summer as a counselor, I was at a new camp for me, Saddle Rock, in Mentone, AL.   I had missed the previous summer due to a study abroad in Spain.  Prior to that, I had been at the other camp, Camp Skyline.  The kids weren't there yet and we were doing leadership training and bonding (though I didn't know that's what it was called back then) on the ropes course.  We were at the trapeze.   It has been 25 years since then, but I remember it well.  (Speaking of camp and 25 years ago.... I was recently able to visit with Marianne Harvey from camping days.... That was neat.  You should have seen the look on our faces when we both realized it had been 25 years since we had last seen each other.)

It was my turn.  I was standing on the tiny block of wood up in the treetop.  How high?  I don't know exactly.  I would guess it might have been 40 feet up to 60 feet.  I was on belay.  That means that if I fell, someone below had me secured and would lower me down safely.  The trapeze was dangling out in the air beyond reach.  How far out was it?  I don't know.  Far enough to have to jump.  Because the wooden platform on which I stood was right against the tree, there was no such thing as "taking a running jump".  I just had to jump with all my might, from right where I was.  How does it sound so far to you?  I'm not a gutless person.  I had already been doing and teaching ropes courses for several years.  I had rappelled down cliffs, regular and australian-style.  I had done the trust dives and trust falls.  Plus, I was known for doing wacky, goofy things.  (I'm sure that will come as a shock to some!)

So, there I was on that tiny wooden platform, no wider really than the width of my two feet side by side.  My fellow counselors and camp director on the ground and in the trees encouraging me to jump.  Me, with my chicken legs a shaking, taking deep breaths and trying to talk myself into it.  I don't know how long I was up there.  It seemed like forever.  I kept reminding myself that the worst thing that could happen was that I would miss the mark.  And, if I missed the mark, I was on belay and would be safely lowered to the ground.  So, what was the big deal!?!?  Fear.  Fear of failure.  Fear of not making it.  Fear of messing up.  Fear of moving.  Fear that maybe, just maybe, that person didn't really have me safely on belay.

I finally jumped.  I don't know where the strength came from.  But I used all the strength I had in my legs and reached out my hands in faith.  The next thing I knew, I was touching metal.  I had made it.  I was holding on to the trapeze!  YIPPEE!!

   

What leaps of faith have you taken in your life? 

They are risky, aren't they?  But, they are worth the risk!

I'm taking another leap of faith, another risk, another step into a possible adventure. 

While on the 5 Day Academy in October, they talked about an upcoming bilingual 2 Year Academy.  The 2 Year Academy meets throughout the 2 years for 5 days at a time.  The word "bilingual" took my breath, literally.  When I heard the word, a gasp snuck out of me.  I don't know why that happened, but it did.  It was like I was a balloon and just got popped.  There are many barriers to me doing something like this, but it won't go away.  But, I've already applied for my M.Div.-- true.  At first, I thought that things might be an either/or situation.  Now, I'm not so sure.  All that I know is that I am going to take each step as I see it, or as I perceive it.  It's not always a "visible" step. 

Who knows how this leap of faith will turn out?!?!  I hope I'll be holding onto the trapeze when it's all said and done.  We'll see.  Meanwhile, I know that I'm on belay and that I will be lowered safely to the ground.

What is your next leap of faith?

Enjoy and make the most out of the journey!!  It is truly an adventure!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment