Monday, November 15, 2010

Struggling.... does it have a purpose?

Struggles, struggling...... Have you ever wondered if there is anything worthwhile in the process of struggling?  Maybe I should back up and ask, 'Have you ever struggled?'  I didn't really think I needed to ask the second question.  I'm guessing that most folks will answer 'yes' if not YES. 

So, what good are struggles?  (uh, oh... did I just say "good" in the same arena as "struggles"?)  Gulp, am I in trouble?  :)  I'm going to venture out on the edge of the trail here and say that I believe that struggles are good for us and that we can benefit from them.  I say 'can' because I believe it depends on our focus, our attitude, what we do with them.....

First of all, why am I even thinking about "struggles"?   Because they are a normal, natural part of life.  Everybody has them.  But, what caused my brain to click?

I just finished reading a book.  (Does that surprise you?)  The Unlikely Disciple:  A Sinner's Semester At America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose.  It was very insightful and interesting.  I learned quite a bit in reading it and recommend it. Kevin Roose openly and honestly shares his journey through this semester "abroad" experience.


Here's what got me thinking about "struggling".  Kevin is at the end of his semester and is talking with his campus mentor, Pastor Seth, about his belief in God.  Kevin's answer to where he was in his belief with God was this: "I'm struggling.  I don't know where I am.  I wish I did, but I don't." (284)  They continue their dialogue and Pastor Seth explains: "Listen, you're in a period of transition.  You're still struggling to find your spiritual identity, and there's no shame in that.  God doesn't make everything clear for us right away.  We have to engage our faith, wrestle with it, make it ours.  Otherwise, it's dead." (284)

Refreshing words!  From both..... it's refreshing for folks to say that they are struggling.  And, it's refreshing to hear from a spiritual advisor that there is no shame in struggling, in wrestling-- because there isn't.  Didn't Jacob wrestle with God? 

There is quite a bit in this selection that I like:  "period of transition", "struggling to find your spiritual identity", "no shame", "engage our faith", "wrestle with it", "Otherwise, it's dead." 

As I read this passage (and re-read it), I thought about the caterpillar, the chrysalis, and the butterfly. 


The caterpillar has to go through a time of transition in the chrysalis before it can become a butterfly.  (I'm keeping this simple.  I'm not a scientist. There are great details available even in children's books.  Check them out!) 

When the butterfly is ready to come out of the chrysalis, it must struggle to get out.  If someone cuts open the cocoon to "help" it, its wings won't become strong enough to fly and the butterfly will die.  So, therefore, the butterfly needs to struggle in order to become stronger, in order to live.  Wow!!

There is another nature example about a baby bird pecking its way out of its shell, but it's very similar in the outcome.

Struggle is GOOD for us.  It causes us to grow.  That doesn't mean that we enjoy it, have a good time, etc.  It simply means that we understand that there is a purpose to it-- our maturity, our growth.  Whether it is emotional, physical, psychological, mental or spiritual struggles.... there is potential for growth and maturity.

I say 'potential' because we can come through a time of struggle and not grow, not learn.  It depends on our actions, our responses and our reactions.  But, hopefully we are not trying to make this journey alone.  So when we are in times of struggles, our companions on the journey are there to encourage us, to walk with us, etc.  They are not there to get us out or to fix it for us, but rather to be our companions along the way. 

How do you see "struggles"?  Do you see them any differently now than before? 

It is my hope that any struggles you encounter along the journey will serve to strengthen and mature you.... and me....

May we wrestle through the struggles knowing that we are becoming more mature and stronger.

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment