Monday, February 7, 2011

First day of classes...

Today is my first day back into classes at Asbury Theological Seminary.  I have reapplied to the Seminary for the M. Div. program.  The Certificate in Christian Studies that I earned counts as 1/3 of the program.  I have 2/3 to go.  Another 1/3 can be done online and the other 1/3 has to be on campus, either Orlando or Wilmore campus.  Whew, I can't think that far ahead yet, as it will take at least 4 years to complete at the rate of 5-6 credits a semester.  (It took me two years to complete the certificate.)

I am excited.  I am nervous.  I am like a kid going back to school.  You know, making sure all the supplies are ready.  [I did order books back in December and have used January to read several of them.]  Instead of sharpening number 2 yellow pencils, I was checking out my classes at 12:01am.  I think that officially makes me some sort of nerd or geek, but that's okay. 

So, what did I do in my classes bright and early this Monday morning?  I downloaded the updated syllabi, checked out the course announcements, looked over the first assignments, and posted the introductory information. 

I'm expecting both classes to stretch and challenge me, academically and spiritually.  I will need to focus, balance, prioritize, set boundaries, etc. in order to re-establish a healthy rhythm of study integrated into the life of mom, wife, etc.

I guess I'm still having a difficult time believing that I really re-applied and that they really accepted me.  I'm not sure why I'm pursuing the M. Div.  However, I know that I don't have to have that part figured out just yet.  I'm hoping that through the coursework, the next steps on the journey will become more clear.  Right now, I'm simply attempting to take one step at a time.

Journeying into a new day,

~Debra

P.S.  As a professor, it's one thing to write in your own syllabus that you expect much out of your students.  It's quite another thing to read that as a student.  GULP! :)   My background in teaching both enhances and hinders my journey as a student at times.  I have to learn (and re-learn) balance in this area as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment