Sunday, February 20, 2011

Getting out into Creation

On Monday, February 14th, my husband and I were able to get out and enjoy the gorgeous, warm day.  We went hiking at the North Chickamauga Pocket Wilderness.  It used to be one of the Bowater properties (it might still be, I don't know).  It is part of the Cumberland Trail.

We didn't "hike" as much as we walked along the flowing creek.  [There are times when this creek isn't so flowing and is just a rock bed and there are times that it is flowing so much that it has kayakers enjoying its thrills.]

The temperature was warm, the sun was out, and there was nary a cloud in the sky.  There was a slight breeze blowing through the tree limbs.  The roar of the water flowing over the rocks was soothing.  Ahhhh....

We walked along the trail, but also took time to get down to the creek and spend time near the water and walk on the rocks.

As I watched the rushing waters flowing, this started going through my mind: "Praise God from whom all blessings flow."  Just as the rushing flowing waters were flowing from above, I was reminded to Praise God, from whom all blessings flow.

 
 

As we walked through the trees and along the trail, this went through my mind: "Breathe on me breath of God".  Just that one little phrase of the song, nothing more.  Though there is much more to the song worth thinking or singing, it was that one phrase that came to mind and stuck along that day's journey.

I enjoyed seeing rock formations, twisted roots, deep pools of water, rushing waters, water bubbling out of a rock, etc.  It was just what the soul needed for refreshment.

     

    

Getting out into creation is an important part of my journey.  It's one of the key ways I connect with God.  I don't have to go to a hiking trail to be in creation, but I am blessed to have an abundance of hiking choices in this area.  There are also parks, greenways, and even my backyard. 

What about you?  What do you do to connect with God?  Where do you go?  If getting out into creation is one of your ways of connecting with God, I encourage you to find some time to do it.  Regardless of the way of connection, I encourage you to make some time. 

I hope you'll find it refreshing to your soul!

Continuing on the journey, 

~Debra

PS-- I saw a bumper sticker this past week that relates to the outdoors and enjoying the day that the Creator has made:



2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog, Debra!

    North Chick Pocket Wilderness is now 'officially' North Chickamauga Creek State Natural Area. The State of Tennessee acquired the gorge and several plateau parcels from Bowater and private landowners about 10 years ago. One great thing about this is that the area is patrolled by rangers, and on high-use weekends they are very friendly about checking coolers for alcohol and being a presence. The amount of trash has been drastically reduced from when Bowater controlled it, and it is a delightful place to go. Heather and I need to take you and show off the wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Richard for the update! I've been going there for over 20 years, and it's always been "Bowater" or "Pocket", so it's hard to change old habits. I thought I had heard something a while back about it being bought, but I don't keep up, I just hit the trails. I would love to learn about the wildflowers! All I know is that they are pretty. That's what I get for studying rocks and dirt in college. :)

    ReplyDelete