Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday... liturgy and reflection

This Maundy Thursday liturgy is taken from the "Lent to Easter liturgies: Year C by Ann Siddall, Stillpoint Spirituality Centre".  The Invitation for the Lord's Supper (Eucharist, Communion) is below as well as a liturgy for a foot washing.


Invitation (based on 1 Cor 11)
This is for you,
but it may change you
from one who is anxiously concerned
about their own redemption
into one who knows
that Christ’s body is the earth
and all who walk upon it,
are one in Him
into knowing that
we are not redeemed
by our being good
but by our being connected
into knowing that
daring to eat
at the table of Jesus Christ
has unimaginable consequences.
So come,
come to be made whole,
and to participate in the work
of making us one with Him and each other.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I find this liturgy for the Great Thanksgiving to be refreshing!

"It may change you".... it may change me.... Is that scary?  Is that exciting?  Is it a mixture of both?  For me, YES!  Both!!  Change is never easy, yet in order to live, I must change.  Grow or rot and die.   Personally, even though it's difficult and often painful, I prefer the growth and change.

We are redeemed by being connected... if I believe that to be true, am I living into the connected body of Christ?  Am I living as one who is connected with others?

"Daring to eat at the table of Jesus Christ has unimaginable consequences."  WOW!  Again, is that scary?  Is that exciting?  Is it a mixture of both?  It is risky.  But isn't anything of worth or value risky?  Don't we have to take steps of faith in order to move onward in life?  What a great statement.  Powerful!  Do I dare to eat at the table of Jesus Christ?

"Come to be made whole"-- oh, that is one of the consequences?  Hmm.... I'm not always so sure I want to be made whole.  That growth pain thing, you know.  Surrendering the dark areas of my heart, mind, and soul to the One who knows them anyway.  Yet, I have the opportunity to be made whole.  It is quite an invitation.

"And to participate in the work of making us one with Him and with each other."-- by daring to eat, I can not only be made whole, but I can participate in the work of being one with Him and with each other..... unity in Christ in order to accomplish kingdom work.  Sounds pretty awesome.

The table is set.  The invitation has been sent.  How do I respond?  How do you respond?

~dd
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Invitation – foot washing
“Unless I wash you
you have no share with me.”
If only it were otherwise.
If only I could present my credentials,
show my record of service,
get some kind of unlimited pass.
In every area of my life
I am more used
to proving how adequate I am,
presenting a polished image,
gaining certain privileges.
But you, Lord,
you bring me down
to where you are kneeling,
and take hold
of the feet I prefer to hide.
We are here together,
near the ground,
and in this humble position
I am touched by you
and made clean.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Coming before the Lord with no credentials, with no record of service, curriculum vitae or resume.  Just me.  Without shoes.  My naked feet.  My scarred feet from surgery with hammer toes.  The rough callouses.  My feet.  They reflect my life.  Far from perfect.  A fair amount of scars, marks, and callouses. 

A foot washing allows you the opportunity to think through things.  It allows you to strip yourself of pride.  Though we're not before the Lord, we are before a servant of the Lord.

There are several foot washings that are meaningful to me.

One is when my daughter was little.  We were at Grace UMC.  She spontaneously got up and went up to one of the stations and started helping wash people's feet.  I can't remember how young she was, but she was young.  She still had blonde and curly hair (to my recollection).  It was a powerful moment.

Another time is when a friend and I did the service at Grace and we were to wash each other's feet.  It was a powerful moment for me.  As I reflect now on both this opportunity to serve her and to serve with her, I am blessed to the point of tears rolling down my cheeks.  I am extremely grateful for those God has allowed me to journey alongside on this crazy and often difficult path.

A third time was when the team leader of our women's retreat team led us in a foot washing the night before the participants came to the retreat.  A very powerful time of coming together as servant leaders.   She is another example of an incredible servant leader that God has brought into my life.

As you can see, I'm for foot washing.  It can be a very powerful and sacred ministry moment.  Just as powerful and sacred as sharing the Lord's meal.

However you choose to worship this Maundy Thursday, or whether you do at all, I hope you take some time to reflect on the love and the sacrifice of Christ. 

May we walk humbly on this journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment