Friday, April 15, 2011

Ramblings... Random thoughts on a rainy day.

It's Friday, April 15th.  It was supposed to be the annual Spring Fling at my daughter's school.  Due to inclement weather, it has been postponed for two weeks.  The Spring Fling is one of the major fundraisers for the school and it ends the week of state testing, for us, TCAP.

Sudan has been on my mind quite a bit over the past months and years.  In South Sudan, Yei, there is are Methodist churches.  Our District (Chattanooga) has adopted a sister church over there, Ligitolo.  There have been several conference mission trips over there to assist the missionaries and pastors, to work on the Captain's House (dedicated to Walt Wright), and recently, a group from our District went and did some work there.   Knowing about these things, being part of the mission group for the District, and knowing folks who've been going over there-- have all made me aware of the situation and aware of the big vote that happened at the end of 2010.

Other parts of Sudan have been on my mind as well.  I have heard stories of the lands, the people, and the culture for several years.  I have begun to see the people through the eyes of those who see them daily.  My heart breaks as I learned just this week of three children who died in the ZamZam Camp of preventable causes.  The ZamZam Camp is where IDPs reside, Internally Displaced Persons.  Many of these people have just recently fled to the camp due to their villages being bombed and destroyed, after the vote.  The peaceful vote to free the south has led to chaos in the north.  As villagers have fled, they have shown up on the doorsteps (so to speak, yet probably literally) of the relief agencies that are there to help.  Needless to say, when 50,000 (probably under-estimated by this point) show up at your door, it's difficult to offer all of them support.  Many of the people set up near what trees were available, or simply made a spot.    After a while, tarps, poles, straw mats, and other materials were able to be brought in.  Some set up there, others moved into the desert.  There is malnutrition and dehydration, among other health issues.  There has not been much in the news, though there was an article in the Washington Post in March.  (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/libya-obama-and-the-tragedy-in-darfur/2011/03/23/ABlu34KB_blog.html)

Here is a link to an article from Voices for Sudan from April: http://www.voicesforsudan.org/2011/04/in-sudan-violence-grows-in-darfur-as-flashpoint-town-abyei-arms/.

The world has heard the cries of Haiti and has responded.  The world heard the miners in Chile and responded.  When the tsunami hit Japan, the world responded.  There have been numerous other situations, and the world has responded.  I admit, I am not a politician.  Therefore, I do not understand all the "papeleo", I mean red-tape.   However, I do see a need.  I see homeless people who are hungry.   Recently, one aid group that had been previously blocked in Sudan was given back their rights to continue reaching out.  That's a positive sign. 

I'm trying to learn all I can and share all that I learn.  On facebook, and now here. 

More locally, there are homeless and hungry folks who have touched my heart and my life.  Several years ago, after one of our Costa Rica mission trips, my family and I started helping out with the Forrest Avenue feeding ministry.  Back in those days, it was just beginning.  Even our daughter would go when possible to hand out sack lunches at the park or do whatever.  She drew pictures in kindergarten about handing out sandwiches at the park.  She has been since then, but not recently.  She just turned 10 this week.  She still has a heart for the hungry and the homeless.  She even came up with a ministry (that I haven't followed up on.... 'Hammocks for the homeless').  That came after she visited the local tent city before it was torn down. 

Fast forward to this week.  I was able to go back down to Forrest Avenue, which is only open now on Wednesdays and Sundays.  Two churches plus some other folks came together to help serve the meal.  It was like homecoming for me, seeing some old faces-- several of those now in charge of the kitchen.  One is a Certified Lay Minister in the Methodist Church and has a powerful testimony of a changed life.  Others have moved on.  Many have passed on.  I was able to visit one guy in the hospital before he passed several years ago.  I learned that when he got out, they had a bbq for him, then he passed not long after.  One face I missed on Wednesday night was Jimmy's.  Jimmy passed this past summer.  He was always smiling, full of life.  He had helped start a clothing ministry through Forrest Avenue and a house for some guys who were between the streets and getting back on their feet.  Little Jimmy was a joy to know.  I always enjoyed talking with him and serving with him.  You know that nagging feeling that you're supposed to touch base with someone?  Well, sometimes I listen to that inner voice.  At other times, I push it aside, thinking I have time.  I had been hearing the name "Jimmy" for a while over the past year.  Then, it was too late.  So, I still grieve from time to time.

But, being back down at Forrest Avenue wasn't sad.  It was invigorating.  Like I said, I talked with quite a few known faces and some new ones.  I even got into a conversation in Spanish.  The poor guy was a little shocked to hear Spanish coming from a gringa.  But, that's part of the fun.  It was chaotic.  Lots of people.  But is was great.  The pastor shared a short devotion prior to dinner.  After dinner, those who want to stay for Bible Study can.  It isn't mandatory.  What I learned Wednesday night is that my heart is still with the hungry and the homeless.  It wasn't too bad having some folks give me a hard time for not being around for so long either.  That made me realize that, maybe, just maybe, I have made some kind of difference.

Whether the hungry and homeless are in my hometown or yours.... or in our backyard in Sudan..... what can we do to let them know we care?

Journeying on a rainy day,

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Alas! people's inhumanity toward others is always shocking. Acts of kindness are how Christ showed us God's great love for all. May we show love and kindness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts and comment. I like that picture of the Costa Rica mission team! Acts of kindness.... truly, we have opportunities every day. I pray for eyes to see them and for a willing heart to follow through.

    ReplyDelete